Author Topic: Geeta's Dhansak Spice Mix  (Read 6362 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Geeta's Dhansak Spice Mix
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:33 PM »
It's not often I buy spice mixes, pastes or anything similar but, last night I noticed a new range of spice mixes on a shelf at Asda. For a 25g pack of spice, ?1.49 seemed quite expensive but I've always held Geeta's chutney in very high regard, so the dhansak spice mix seemed worth a punt.

A simple recipe is included on the label and includes chicken, tomatoes, onion, lentils, and lemon juice. I followed it exactly and the result was very good. If I was served this dish in a restaurant, I wouldn't complain. It smelled like Dhansak the moment I tipped the spices in. I'll have to buy a further pack, to try with base sauce and pre-cooked lentils.

Recommended.

www.geetasfoods.com

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Geeta's Dhansak Spice Mix
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:09 PM »
It's not often I buy spice mixes, pastes or anything similar but, last night I noticed a new range of spice mixes on a shelf at Asda. For a 25g pack of spice, ?1.49 seemed quite expensive but I've always held Geeta's chutney in very high regard, so the dhansak spice mix seemed worth a punt.

A simple recipe is included on the label and includes chicken, tomatoes, onion, lentils, and lemon juice. I followed it exactly and the result was very good. If I was served this dish in a restaurant, I wouldn't complain. It smelled like Dhansak the moment I tipped the spices in. I'll have to buy a further pack, to try with base sauce and pre-cooked lentils.

Recommended.  www.geetasfoods.com
Seems worth a punt, George, particularly as they are currently only GBP 1-00 online [1].  One thing that does me give me some confidence is that they don't list a Chicken Tikka Masala mix -- that must surely be a good sign !

** Phil.
--------
[1] Unfortunately by the time you have amortized the GBP 4-99 delivery charge over the four packs of spice that come within the GBP 4-99 p&p limit, the price will have risen to GBP 2-25/pack, so you did right to buy them from Asda at full price !  Incidentally, Geeta's claim there are 30gm/pack, not 25gm.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:35 PM »
you did right to buy them from Asda at full price !  Incidentally, Geeta's claim there are 30gm/pack, not 25gm.

Well spotted! I weighed the powder with one of my less accurate scales and thought it was about 25g. I didn't realise the claimed weight was on the packet!

I almost didn't buy the spice mix, because the total cost of the dhansak can't be far short of a BIR take-away, although perhaps it is better value because the recipe probably makes enough for 4 people. My interest now is to analyse the spice mix (if I buy a second pack), to try and ascertain what gives it a BIR dhansak type aroma, even with no fresh garlic, ginger or green pepper in the curry.

Note: Geeta's foods state that Asda is the only stockist of the Dhansak spice mix, at present

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Can you list the ingredients on the pack in the order they are printed, please ?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:56 AM »
To save George from having to transcribe the list :

Quote from: http://www.geetasfoods.com/dhansakspiceroute.htm
Salt, Dried Roasted Garlic, Brown Sugar, Dried Ginger, Roasted Coriander, Turmeric (6%), Chilli, Roasted Cumin, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek, Paprika, Mustard, Dried Tamarind, Cardamom, Cinnamon (1%), Star Anise (1%), Coriander Leaf, Bay, Black Pepper, Curry Leaves, Clove, Nutmeg, Black Cumin.
Made in an environment where nuts are used.
Allergy Advice: Contains Mustard.
Incidentally, when did mustard become classified as an allergen ?  I see an increasing number of warnings of its possible presence.
** Phil.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Thanks. Interesting spice mix, lots of spices.

Offline Robert

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Encouraged by the comments here I decided to give this a go, and to follow the instructions to the letter, despite reservations over putting the raw lentils plus water straight into a salty sauce. I used the basic red lentils, (Natco) that would normally be turning to a mushy dhal after about 20 minutes simmering in plain water.

At the end of the recommended simmering time, 30 - 40 minutes they were still hard, as in gritty. After an hour and a half they had just begun to soften, but by that time we were starving so dived in. The sauce was indeed delicious, although lacking the smooth texture expected of a dhansak and as feared there were digestive "issues" throughout the night.

In fact the sauce was so nice I'm going to have another go but next time adding the lentils pre-cooked.

Rob

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:00 PM »
In fact the sauce was so nice I'm going to have another go but next time adding the lentils pre-cooked.

I'm pleased to hear that you followed my recommendation and tried the spice mix, with sauce flavour results which sound in line with mine. I didn't notice any problems with the lentils but I agree it would probably make sense to pre-cook them, and just blend with the sauce at the end.

I was amazed that the recipe requires a whole can of tomatoes but I did what it said and it obviously worked. Previous BIR type dhansak recipes I've tried have much less tomato.

I also tried the Rogon Gosh spice blend but it was nowhere near as good as the Dhansak.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44 PM »
as feared there were digestive "issues" throughout the night.

There are two things you have to do to minimise this effect.

First, bring the lentils to the boil in a good amount of water giving it a stir now and then. Once boiled throw the water away and add new hot water to cook on with.

Second, add a good amount of asafoetida as it's an anti flatulent and is a normal addition to most vegetable dishes in traditional Indian cooking for that very reason.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04 PM »
as feared there were digestive "issues" throughout the night.

Second, add a good amount of asafoetida as it's an anti flatulent and is a normal addition to most vegetable dishes in traditional Indian cooking for that very reason.

Made a Moong Chilka the other night with 1/2 tsp of  compounded asafoetida.  Ok for a few hours, but after that I was blasting like a ships fog horn.  Woke the misus and I expect the neighbours.

©2024 Curry Recipes