Author Topic: Any Collard Greens recipes?  (Read 3946 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Any Collard Greens recipes?
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:16 AM »
I regularly buy collard greens (similar to UK Spring Cabbage or smooth Kale) and whilst they are yummy they can get boring, and I understand they are widely grown in Northern Pakistan and India - does anyone have a traditional recipe that uses them? I'd imagine some sort of Saag style recipe but with the collards instead of the spinach?

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Any Collard Greens recipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:08 AM »
bb - I make a nice saag lamb using home grown silverbeet which is the same as spinach/kale. It can either be done in the slow cooker or in a pot on the stove for a few hours.

Ingredients

600-700 gms nice lean diced lamb
2 medium onions (roughly chopped)
Can diced tomatoes
250ml Tub of thick cream
Bunch of fresh coriander
Sprig of fresh curry leaves
150-200ml beef stock
Big bunch of silverbeet, stalks removed (approx 600-700gms)
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Shilli powder
1 tsp Salt
2-3 Brown cardamon pods
1 Cinnamon stick
2-3 tbs methi leaves

Method:
Combine spices with Lamb and fry in oil until browned. Remove from heat
Combine onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and fry in oil until nicely browned
Combine spinach, tomatoes, fried onion mix, half the tub of cream, stock and methi leaves in a blender and blend until smooth. (You may need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your blender).
Combine lamb and blended sauce in a slow cooker and cook on high for an hour and then turn to low for 7 ish hours. Or put everything in a pan, bring to boil and then turn down to a simmer (watch it doesnt catch) with a lid on for a few of hours or until the meat is melt in your mouth tender.
Add a bit more cream during cooking (towards the end) if you think its getting to thick.

Cheers
Steve

Edit: Obviously the ingredients are traditional but the method isnt. The traditional way wouldnt blend the spinach into a sauce. I just wanted to make it like my local AIR.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:38 AM by SteveAUS »

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:06 AM »
Hey, beachbum!

Which collard greens do you use exactly? I believe I can't get the right ones here in germany. But if it's still up to date, I could deliver some traditional kashmiri recipes. That's the tragedy - couldn't try them out for myself yet. Would be happy about any useful subsitute, too, besides spinach.

Greetings!

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:37 AM »
They look like this and are "cabbagey" in flavour but turn out really tender when cooked, like UK Spring Cabbage or "Spring Greens". I'm sure you would have them in Germany - sort of a smooth Kale.

Edit:
oops forgot to include photo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:48 PM by beachbum »

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45 PM »
You're gonna have a hard time getting collard greens in Germany unless you get them from a farmer's field yourself.

They're called "Markstammkohl" here and we solely use them to feed pigs etc. It's not considered "food", so to say. You might just want to use "Gr

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:29 PM »
It really is "Markstammkohl", isn't it? Can't even use ordinary turnip (Speiseruebe), because we stupid germans use them almost exclusively to feed animals, too. Crazy world!

Greetings!

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Sounds like Collards in Germany receives the same treatment as "Silverbeet" in the UK. It's a variety of Chard but somewhat bigger and more substantial than Swiss Chard, and is very popular indeed in Australia, it's in every supermarket and veg shop and is one of the most widely grown home veggies as you can pick the leaves off one at a time over a few months. It's the basis of SteveAUS recipe above.

When I was on holiday in the UK we drove past a vast field of the stuff so I hopped out and gathered an armful. Passing drivers had looks of surprise on their faces "what's that bloke up to?" Took them back to Aunty's and cooked them up. Well received although a little "new" to them. Maybe it's finding its way into the mainstream in the UK as that was 12 years ago.

However you guessed it, this luscious tender nutritious vegetable is used in the UK to make silage for cattle  >:(

©2024 Curry Recipes