Author Topic: BBQ Chicken Madaras - by DPN  (Read 2839 times)

Offline DPN

• Chef
    • View Profile
BBQ Chicken Madaras - by DPN
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Hello CRO  :D

id like to thank all those who have donated to this site and helped me create my best curries ever!

This Madras is based (kinda loosely) on Cory ander's madras... i add some mango chutney, methi leaves and some mr naga - i love this stuff  ;) maybe a couple modest teaspoons. ill add freshly ground cumin and coriander seeds and a few green chillis, when initially frying my finely chopped onion. i use a few tablespoons of the most expensive butter i can find, it has a lovely orange colour!  ;D

i prefer the boneless chicken thighs, which i marinated with a tikka like recipe...

kashmiri - 2 dryed whole chillis, deseeded
cumin seed - 2 teaspoons (crushed)
coriander seed - 2 teasoons (crushed)
mr naga - heaped teaspoon  :P
dark mustard - heaped teaspoon (paste not seed)
chopped coriander - heaped teaspoon
garlic/ginger paste - 2 teaspoons (gently simmered in ghee & butter)
Ghee & butter - tablespoon.

melt the ghee & butter, gently fry garlic/ginger for a minute, then add all the other ingredients turn off heat, add meat while oil is still warm/liquid. marinade over night.

i chop up a few medium sized onions, as fine as i can, so there almost translucent, i fry this first until golden, i add fresh tomatoes too. This buttery gloop eventually melts down and makes a nice thick sauce  :) i got this tip from a video on youtube (leviteshi), thanks mate for all the good tips.

i use fresh lemon wedges that get sqeezed and stirred into the mix, none of that cif stuff for me thanks lol.

ive learned not to add too much base at a time and let things roast in the pan.

the bbq really adds that lovely smokey taste, used some small cherry logs... really enjoyed this one, would be happy if i was served this in a restaurant  :P

Offline DPN

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BBQ Chicken Madaras - by DPN
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13 PM »
i sliced the chicken in half and added this to my onion paste, let things roast a bit.... i think the chicken was just about cooked, which is fine as it will carry on cooking in the pan.

Adding the base sauce, little bit at a time... probably added 2 big laddels altogether

the finished result  ;D its got heat but not overly hot, i think it was just right! need to learn how to cook some pilau rice lol, getting bored of wild rice... and maybe needs a nan bread too to clean the plate!

thanks again CRO hope you enjoy the pics.... will do my lamb dhansak recipe soon.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I think this is one of those 'madrases' where I object to the use of the name based on the inclusion of certain ingredients.  >:(

That said it certainly looks mouthwateringly good and I can only imagine (never having tried it) how good that barbequed chicken must taste in the sauce. Nice!  ;)

Offline DPN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:48 PM »
i guess its not really a madras but i didnt know what else to call it lol....

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31 PM »
i guess its not really a madras but i didnt know what else to call it lol....

How about a Naga Makhani or Naga Makanwhala, based on the use of naga paste and butter?

©2024 Curry Recipes