• June 17, 2019, 12:49 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: what is bassar curry masalla ?  (Read 20760 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
Re: what is bassar curry masalla ?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2018, 05:43 PM »
In that case, let me tell you about a curry I made recently.  On the previous day I had made a lamb karahi, pre-cooking the lamb (bhunao-style) in MDH karahi/fry masala and then finishing it off the next day using Laziza karahi/fry masala + Kashmiri mirch |+ degghi mirch + KD-base/PT.  So on this particular day I wanted to cook something very different.  For meat I used a commercial (catering) pre-cooked pressed turkey breast ("Steam cooked and roasted turkey saddle, formed from selected cuts of turkey breast"), which I cut into curry-size pieces and pre-spiced in the remains of the garabi from the lamb.  I then gently stir-fried some g/g paste in a mixture of chilli-infused and garlic-infused oils, added one teaspoon Bassar curry masala, one teaspoon Kashmiri mirch, one teaspoon degghi mirch, ½ teaspoon kala namak, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and ½ teaspoon ground fenugreek (recipe based on KD1/PT).  Once these were smelling nicely I added the pre-spiced turkey pieces and continued in the normal way, adding and reducing base from time to time (I think I used just two large ladles full on this occasion, and my wife complained that there was not really enough sauce).  Initially her reaction was that there was not the same depth of flavour as with the lamb on the previous day, but by the end of the meal both she and I agreed that we had thoroughly enjoyed it.

** Phil.

P.S.  In the run-up to Christmas I had treated myself to a £19.99 Lidl vacuum sealer, and having decanted some of the freshly-opened pack of BCM into a screw-top jar, I sealed the remainder, in its original pack, inside a vacuum-seal envelope.  I very much hope that the brief exposure that the BCM had to air will not have significantly shortened its shelf life, and that vacuum sealing the remainder will have very much prolonged it.

P.P.S.  I also treated myself (and the the house) to a £99 Lidl robotic vacuum cleaner, of which I cannot speak too highly.  I reckon that the combination of a Husqvarna auto-mower and a Lidl robotic vacuum cleaner have given me several extra hours of useful (=curry-making) time a day!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:03 AM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline CarpCarp

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Thanks Phil for such a great response. :)

Offline chewytikka

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 11:52 PM »
As a Christmas gift I received two 400g bags of Al Noor Bassar Masala, I’m really looking forward to cooking with this Masala.
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

Crikey was that on your Xmas list, Terrible stuff, far too much extra hot harsh chilli powder in the mix.
Its for BIG pot traditional cooking with plenty of water, or you get a bitter aftertaste.
Not for single serve BIR cooking, as you have to be able to control chilli powder, plus its Pakistani
which are minority in BIR and a lot are buffet places with chafing dishes (aka Big Pots)
where all the curries tend to taste similar, Cumin and Bassar the culprits ;)

Anyhoo, just saying,  :) good luck with that CC

cheers Chewy

Burn those spices "Singefry" and Bhunao are the keys to success.
Smoking Mustard Oil is good for You and your curries.....Lol

Offline CarpCarp

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 02:16 AM »
Thanks Chewy, I read your post at the start of the thread and see your views on Pakistani Bassar haven’t changed. I must admit it’s hot for a finger taste but I’m already liking the flavour,  I could sprinkle it on Bombay sweet cornflakes and be a happy camper. The recommendations from Al Noor are for single pot use, to boil let’s say Chicken in a small amount of water, remove the bird fry in oil and butter with Bassar spice till fragrant additional onions,tomatoes and chilli all being optional masala. Finally add back boiled stock and reduce. I’m aware of your preference for Bangladeshi masala over Pakistani, for me I’m excited to try out the Bassar as I see many differing opinions on the thread. Wish me luck and I will post back with my impressions  :) thanks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:54 PM by CarpCarp »

Offline George

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 06:36 PM »
CarpCarp - don;t let ChewyTikka put you off, As you may have read in my reply#4 from 2012, I rate this stuff highly and find it a very useful ingredient in one-dish cooking, using anything from a pinch to a level teaspoon. Thanks also for including photos but I don't know why ChewyTikka flet the need to repeat them, especially only .a couple of posts later - a waste of space in my opinion.

Offline CarpCarp

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Hi thanks George for your interest in my post, I cooked Chicken on the bone today, my findings are exactly as yourself and Phil document. I followed Al Noor method. Fried 2 onions with g+g, 0.5 tsp cumin seed in oil100ml 30gbutter then added tsp 1 Haldi, 1 heaped Bassa Masala and one mixed powder also 1 salt. Fried spice before added bay and blended plum tomato cooking till oil rises. Boiled chicken was half cooked and then added plus stock.

Wow absolutely delicious, a little coriander’s and Chat Masala to finish. Heat is very mild with the authentic flavours floating throughout. Impressive.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:08 PM by CarpCarp »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Well done that man :)
** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message is inversely proportional to the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline CarpCarp

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Hi all I have a recipe adjustment,  after consuming my third servings with popadom, onions and tomatoes salad. I concluded I will drop the tsp of mix powder altogether and use 2 heaping tsp of Pakistani Bassar. I also forgot to mention I added 0.5 tsp of cumin seeds while frying onions, I will amend this now.
Our meal tonight was enjoyable with Nanny and Wife, no complaints about spicing recived just appreciative sounds.

Offline bolinao

• Trainee Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Is Bassar curry masala the same as Kashmiri Curry Masala ?

thanks

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 02:20 AM »
I am not sure but I had a bag of powders (recommended to me) in the cupboard that I am going to try at some point.  Not the same brand as Carpcarp posted, here is a photo of the reverse side.

If you can learn something new and have a laugh, the day has not been wasted.

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: