Author Topic: what is bassar curry masalla ?  (Read 46985 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: what is bassar curry masalla ?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2018, 05:43 PM »
In that case, let me tell you about a curry I made recently.  On the previous day I had made a lamb karahi, pre-cooking the lamb (bhunao-style) in MDH karahi/fry masala and then finishing it off the next day using Laziza karahi/fry masala + Kashmiri mirch |+ degghi mirch + KD-base/PT.  So on this particular day I wanted to cook something very different.  For meat I used a commercial (catering) pre-cooked pressed turkey breast ("Steam cooked and roasted turkey saddle, formed from selected cuts of turkey breast"), which I cut into curry-size pieces and pre-spiced in the remains of the garabi from the lamb.  I then gently stir-fried some g/g paste in a mixture of chilli-infused and garlic-infused oils, added one teaspoon Bassar curry masala, one teaspoon Kashmiri mirch, one teaspoon degghi mirch,
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:03 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

CarpCarp

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Thanks Phil for such a great response. :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 11:52 PM »
As a Christmas gift I received two 400g bags of Al Noor Bassar Masala, I

CarpCarp

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 02:16 AM »
Thanks Chewy, I read your post at the start of the thread and see your views on Pakistani Bassar haven
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:54 PM by CarpCarp »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 06:36 PM »
CarpCarp - don;t let ChewyTikka put you off, As you may have read in my reply#4 from 2012, I rate this stuff highly and find it a very useful ingredient in one-dish cooking, using anything from a pinch to a level teaspoon. Thanks also for including photos but I don't know why ChewyTikka flet the need to repeat them, especially only .a couple of posts later - a waste of space in my opinion.

CarpCarp

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Hi thanks George for your interest in my post, I cooked Chicken on the bone today, my findings are exactly as yourself and Phil document. I followed Al Noor method. Fried 2 onions with g+g, 0.5 tsp cumin seed in oil100ml 30gbutter then added tsp 1 Haldi, 1 heaped Bassa Masala and one mixed powder also 1 salt. Fried spice before added bay and blended plum tomato cooking till oil rises. Boiled chicken was half cooked and then added plus stock.

Wow absolutely delicious, a little coriander
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:08 PM by CarpCarp »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Well done that man :)
** Phil.

CarpCarp

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Hi all I have a recipe adjustment,  after consuming my third servings with popadom, onions and tomatoes salad. I concluded I will drop the tsp of mix powder altogether and use 2 heaping tsp of Pakistani Bassar. I also forgot to mention I added 0.5 tsp of cumin seeds while frying onions, I will amend this now.
Our meal tonight was enjoyable with Nanny and Wife, no complaints about spicing recived just appreciative sounds.

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Is Bassar curry masala the same as Kashmiri Curry Masala ?

thanks

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 02:20 AM »
I am not sure but I had a bag of powders (recommended to me) in the cupboard that I am going to try at some point.  Not the same brand as Carpcarp posted, here is a photo of the reverse side.

©2024 Curry Recipes