Author Topic: what is bassar curry masalla ?  (Read 47271 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: what is bassar curry masalla ?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 11:37 PM »
This is the bottle I have. www.indojin.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1466&zenid=i4392rfj4apjjf1o37so9kolo0
.  It is not marked as External only and has Nutritional facts printed on the label so clearly for consumption.  The science on the effects of Erucic acid is not conclusive of being harmful to humans and the PTDI has been extrapolated from animal testing with a safety factor of over 100X.

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/publications/documents/Erucic%20acid%20monograph.pdf

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2019, 02:42 AM »
This is the bottle I have. www.indojin.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1466&zenid=i4392rfj4apjjf1o37so9kolo0
.  It is not marked as External only and has Nutritional facts printed on the label so clearly for consumption.  The science on the effects of Erucic acid is not conclusive of being harmful to humans and the PTDI has been extrapolated from animal testing with a safety factor of over 100X.

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/publications/documents/Erucic%20acid%20monograph.pdf

Hi Livo, a little off topic, but do you know anywhere in Australia to buy online  a large  (28cm-30cm)  iron concave  Tawa ? can't find any  in Adelaide, only small one. thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:32 AM by bolinao »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 04:49 AM »
I'm using a 10" (25cm) that I had ordered in for me at the local Indian Grocer for about $20.  I'll be in Western Sydney, Wentworthville  (Little India) on 14 February so I can check out Patel Bros and Udaya to see what they have. If you like I'll by one for you and post it. We can arrange a funds transfer.

Or there is this 26 cm model from DEV Kitchenware Mt Druitt but it is further west and I won't be going out that far.  http://devkitchenware.com.au/index.php/cookware/tawa/v-v-iron-tawa-with-steel-handle.html

Let me know if you want me to look around in Wentworthville next month if you can wait that long.

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2019, 05:39 AM »
I'm using a 10" (25cm) that I had ordered in for me at the local Indian Grocer for about $20.  I'll be in Western Sydney, Wentworthville  (Little India) on 14 February so I can check out Patel Bros and Udaya to see what they have. If you like I'll by one for you and post it. We can arrange a funds transfer.

Or there is this 26 cm model from DEV Kitchenware Mt Druitt but it is further west and I won't be going out that far.  http://devkitchenware.com.au/index.php/cookware/tawa/v-v-iron-tawa-with-steel-handle.html

Let me know if you want me to look around in Wentworthville next month if you can wait that long.

The one I bought is 9.5 inches and a little small. cost $15, the naans keep over lapping the edges, the one in your link looks flat and not concave ?

All good, thanks for the offer though, I was hoping to find one online.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2019, 06:04 AM »
Make slightly smaller naan and use a gaddy to position them on the Tawa.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2019, 09:29 AM »
If you do (plan to) use mustard oil in BIR, don't forget to take it up to smoking point and then back it off; it both improves the flavour and destroys the harmful ingredients that normally cause it to be labelled "for external use only" (erucic acid).

** Phil.

Well I can't find her video now, but quite a while back I came across an Pakistani woman (youtube video)  who didn't  use mustard oil in her cooking, but she did include Colman's dry mustard powder into her recipe somewhere to get the mustard flavour, I'll have another look and if I come across it again, I'll link it. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:40 AM by Les »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14 AM »

The one I bought is 9.5 inches and a little small. cost $15, the naans keep over lapping the edges, the one in your link looks flat and not concave ?

All good, thanks for the offer though, I was hoping to find one online.

No worries. Offer stands if you'd like me to see what I can get for you next month. Just let me know by 13 Feb.  Online Indian supply sites are not crash hot out here. Even the shops are a bit laid back. ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes