Author Topic: Has anyone one?  (Read 9364 times)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Has anyone one?
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:05 PM »
My pride of my kitchen bits and pieces (and I don't have many, even my tin opener is a stab it in and jiggle it around one) A Cuisinart soup maker and blender!
It cost me a fortune for what it does and how much I actually use it..

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone one?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Hi Tommy
I posted about these a while ago, thinking that you must be able to make a small base with one of these.

Hi All
Garabi Maker
Interesting piece of kit, anybody got one?.

Seems ideal for those who don't want to produce a freezer full
of curry base. But rather a fresh, there and then, curry cooking session.

We all probably like the theatre of making a big pan of curry base, but the clean up can become
a bit of a pain, especially if you've got the other half on your case.

As I'm in the market for a new jug blender, I came across this and got me thinking.

Waring Soup Maker WSM1U
http://store.makro.co.uk/p-8929-waring-soup-maker-wsm1u.aspx?gclid=CJeuudaMtqwCFQRP4QodnCtcGg

Cuisinart also do a similar version.
src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ORwIAx42BMI"

Any real life info appreciated
cheers Chewy

It would be great if you gave yours a road test, with say my 1 hour base recipe.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5606.msg55247#msg55247
Just cut the ingredients back to suit the size of the jug.
cheers Chewy

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Wow... Uncanny :o
The reason I dug this out was because I was actually doing a base... 

Doesn't look very appetising does it, it was one of C2G's but I added my own Garam/ curry powder that no one seems familiar with instead of the Rajah madras of which I think I should have stuck with.
The Garam/Curry powder I posted here and it is very powerfull stuff and I think I overdone it
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8668.msg76966#msg76966

Sure I will give your base a go in this contraption although when the time comes I will pm you so you could help me out on how to approach it.
I'm not sure it would be suitable as the timer setting only goes to 15 mins before a reset so it would mean plenty of returns to the kitchen.
Another thing I have found is the actual nonstick cooking base area is quite small for an even cooking of the amount per volume if you get my drift? It is a good size but a regular stir to agitate the fluid/ingredients is required, there is a stir function for this but you have to press the button, it is not automatic.

I have not put this to good use to really tell if it is anygood although my mate swears by it.
The build quality is good and sturdy, I cannot fault that!
You base will be a good trial for it so give it a fortnight or so and I will pm you.

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Well I got finally got around to making a base in this soup maker, I followed Chewys advice and approached it as follows...

100ml Oil
2 Tbs of G&G
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Haldi
Quarter slice of green capsicum (chopped)
Same amount white Cabbage
Half a Carrot (chopped)
1 green chilli
3 medium Onions (grated)
100ml Water

Once it has sweated down nicely and looks cooked
add 1 tsp Tomato Puree
add 1 Tbs Mixed powder
and top up with boiling water
Set it away cooking again for 10mins

There was a few adjustments in times and settings as follows

I initially thought the machine could only be set to 15 Min's at a time but thankfully I was wrong and it can be set to 30 Min's max.
Of the three heat settings 'high, low and simmer' I found that the middle one 'low' was the only one that achieved a simmer and it cuts in and out to regulate this.

After the first 30 Min's the onions were reduced down to the 1Ltr mark, I gave it another 30 Min's before I blended it but the occasional stir function which has to be pressed manually seemed to of made a good job of breaking it all down in the mean time.
The machine has a mark stating that no hot liquids should be used above the 1400ml mark but as it was on a tame simmer I chanced filling it to the optimum fill mark of 1750ml when I added the spices and gave it another 30 Min's... An hour and a half in total!
When cooled I then topped it up the last 20ml left in the blender and used the stir function to mix, It yielded just under 2Litre's.

The base was just as good in taste as any that I have made yet and definitely better than quite a few I have made primarily because it was a lot easier  to gauge what i was doing at this volume of contents.

I still do not have the eye for or skill to judge exactly how much to add to get the right consistencies at the higher volumes I have been recently making, the results have been coming out OK but it has been a bit of hit and miss.
This way I was more than happy with the consistency and taste... All in all it was an all round winner and I will be doing this again.

My only means of videoing this was with an ipod and the only thing really worth seeing was the finale texture of the base which is only a 30 second clip so when I manage to edit it I may post it here but in the mean time here is a photo of the resulting madras I knocked up with some pre fried onions and peppers a chopped chilli and no coriander. Again taken with my ipod and lifted from a 'vid still' and 'screen capture' on pc so not an ideal image.

Thanks for your help Chewy. 8)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Hi Tommy
Great experiment and glad it worked out for you on your first attempt. ;)
Good Garabi maker you've got there 8)
cheers chewy

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Well I do apologize for the following but it had to be done!
The best bit is the last...

Garabi

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11 AM »
looks good to me tommy.  ;)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Hi TT

I have  a "Thermochef" which is a cheaper version of the ridicoulosly overpriced "Thermomix".

It's a great tool, and I use it to make several meals in the week. I also make bunjarra (sp) in it and it works fine. I can't believe I have never even considered making a base gravy in it...................... duuur.

Thanks for the tip.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 04:35 PM »
What are your comments on this review, Mick ?  Accurate or misleading ?
** Phil.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:36 AM »
Hi Phil

I suppose the old saying is true you DO get what you pay for.  BUT, I am more than happy with my Thermochef purchase. At $795 with a free bowl thrown in.

I have never used a Thermomix, so cannot comment on the differences. The butterfly coming loose comment is a tad unfair. We were having the same problem and ours actually smashed into pieces. I rang the distributor, who sent out a free replacement and "detailed" instructions of how to lock the thing in place properly, and we haven't had a problem since.

Also, the "you can smell the motor" comment is also exaggerated. When it is new, there is a "oil" smell, because oil is burning off the motor...simple as that, it soon disappears.

There is no reverse setting, so food will continue to be cut up, so we tend to cut meat in long thin strips and it tends to survive better.

It makes restaurant quality soups, sauces, risotto (we haven't had a problem), easy bunjarra without the chance of burning it.

Overall we are happy with it.

©2024 Curry Recipes