Author Topic: Largest Curry Ever....  (Read 2683 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Largest Curry Ever....
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:47 AM »
I made the largest curry I have ever made yesterday at the Uni. 100kg (220lb) of chicken breast for a plain chicken curry, 500 covers for lunch!! :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Largest Curry Ever....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:05 AM »
I made the largest curry I have ever made yesterday at the Uni. 100kg (220lb) of chicken breast for a plain chicken curry, 500 covers for lunch!! :)
Incroyable !  I am amazed that College allowed 220lb of meat for 500 covers; they were never that generous when I ate there regularly :)  Did you use the BIR methodology, or was this a more traditional curry ?   Are you allowed (under the College Official Secrets Act) to disclose the recipe ?  Do you feel that it was up to the same standards as you would have achieved if you had been cooking for one, or were you forced to make compromises ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26 AM »
There was plenty left over, about 4 x 4 inch deep Gastro's of the stuff went into the fridge, probably for Monday's lunch and it's my day off!! :( lol

It was by no means a BIR curry, just onions, chicken, spices, tomatoes, tomato paste and freshly chopped coriander. As Raj one of the chef's calls it, "an English curry, not too spicy!! English don't like spicy curries" Then I told him about some of the curries I make and he was quite shocked.

Needless to say, I did grab a plateful for myself, but not before adding a good 2 teaspoons of chilli flakes to it, much to Raj's surprised looks and laughter calling me mad!!  :o ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 01:21 PM »
As Raj one of the chef's calls it, "an English curry, not too spicy!! English don't like spicy curries"

I do wonder where this notion arises from?

Of all the nations to which spicy food isn't exactly native, I'd say the Brits are the most attuned to chillied-up food more than any other and that includes the Texans who think their chillies (the meal) are ultra hot (in the chilli sense).

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Got to say that chicken looks 100% better than at the privite nursery where my other half is the cook...
The fridge door was accidently left open over night and there was  4kilo of chicken in it, due to health and safety she had to bin it.
I was going mad when she informed me on the phone screaming to her to get it around to me fast.
When it arrived it was like mince and I had to pressure cook it in an attempt to get rid of the amount of fat on it.

Obviously I curried it but it ended up looking like cat food!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:02 PM »
As Raj one of the chef's calls it, "an English curry, not too spicy!! English don't like spicy curries"

I do wonder where this notion arises from?

Of all the nations to which spicy food isn't exactly native, I'd say the Brits are the most attuned to chillied-up food more than any other and that includes the Texans who think their chillies (the meal) are ultra hot (in the chilli sense).

I've got to agree with you there. It would seem the Brits have taken on the spice world and won!! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes