Author Topic: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi  (Read 127786 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 03:08 PM »
I can't bring myself to buy & add this stuff, same as the Ashoka margarine in the base. Anyone know the deal with the use of veg ghee as opposed to oil?

Does anyone use the veg ghee as per the Zaal base spec?

ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I must confess I now use veg oil and have done on the last two occasions i've made the Zaal base.  Don't see veg ghee round here, just the butter variety.  I really can't detect a difference in the finished dishes.  But i do know that Solarsplace swears by it.

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Have a few questions here for the experts - this is the first time in a while I've tried a new base.

1. Does anyone strain the Zaal base through a sieve? (most importantly, it appears the restaurant does not)
2. My example seems to be less deep in color than the pictures, a light orange - I followed all weight measurements when possible, used Zaal Mix.  Not enough spices in the last stage maybe, or is this due to the use of another mix in the batch shown in the photos?
3. I don't seem to be getting the situation where the oil is floating - since there isn't a ton in this base, I presume this may be OK.

Thanks for the help!  Looking forward to trying a few new curry recipes with this kit, as well as comparing how it might change some that are tried and true.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Hi Zap

Here are some answers from my perspective:

1) I personally don't sieve the Zaal base at all, neither does the restaurant. Nothing to stop you trying it if you like though.

2) The example shows the base made with Abdul 8 spice ( http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6176.0 ) which has a high paprika content. This might account for a deeper colour. I know this is deviating from the restaurant version - but I like it and get great results.

3) The gravy never releases much oil for me either. The photo is a little deceptive, there really is not as much oil on the surface as it looks.

The key thing really though is how it tastes with a finished curry! - please let us know how you get on.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Thanks a bunch!  It looks like I've probably managed to make the base correctly.

Sieving is a pain, and if the restaurant doesn't bother, I'm going to give it a go without.  I suspected the 8 spice might be the reason for the difference between the base being light orange vs more gold.  In the past I've used other mix powders that do contain Paprika, and it definitely makes a difference.  Since that is one of the novelties of the Zaal kit, I'll see how things differ without it.

Looking forward to what the finished products will be like.  If the results are anything like those I've seen pictured on the forum, they are going to be great!

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 07:47 AM »
OK - so this was a big eye opener.  A massive success.  Not that I haven't had great luck before, but there was something about the resultant dish that really resembled what I would expect from some of the better restaurants I've been to.

I'm happy to say that not straining the garabi did not have any negative effects on the final dish consistency.  It may have even brought things closer to actual restaurant food I've had in the past.  A bit of work and a lot of dirty dishes avoided!

Just finished making Jalfrezi using CA's recipe as a guideline, with some adjustments.  Used the Zaal Base, Zaal Mix, and generally followed the Zaal cooking style as outlined in the forum posts/videos.

I haven't honestly made Jalfrezi many times, let alone ordered it much, but have had it on lunch buffets at restaurants in a number of places.  The resulting dish was definitely the business - and has encouraged me to explore cooking more dishes using the techniques and recipes from Zaal.  I am eagerly looking forward to making the homemade Garam Masala, as well as trying more dishes in the very near future.

Without a doubt, there was some of the restaurant magic in the dish I cooked tonight, and for it to be one I'm not as intimately familiar with, says I'm definitely on the right track!  I'm definitely thinking that part of the illustrious BIR secret is most certainly cooking technique. :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Hi Zap

Really great news to hear you had such success!  ;D

Would be great to hear how you get on with a few other dishes in the future too.

Maybe some curry-pron pictures too would encourage some other members to discover the joys of Zaal.

Cheers

Offline Fitzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Just made the base for the first time, smells great. Going to make a chicken madras later for tea, will report later  ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Yep - top work. That's how a Zaal type base should look. But surely you could have squeezed a bit more in that pot?  ;)

Offline Fitzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 04:29 PM »
I know need to get a bigger pan  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes