Author Topic: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi  (Read 127411 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Something I do from time to time is take it all back to base basics and knock one up using just onions, garlic, and ginger.

Some would say that's all you need anyway, with all the magic being done at the curry frying stage.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Many thanks for this breakdown SP, much appreciated!

I'm fed up of huge quantities of base sauce blocking the freezer space, so i decided to split your recipe quantities by half. I made the base to spec yesterday and have just made a chicken tikka jalfrezi with it and it was a really good curry, as good as i've made in a while actually.

Even better, is I've only enough base left for about 6 or 7 more curries not 60 or 70 as usual hehe!

Thanks again

W

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Cooked this base today, a couple of observations or maybe mistakes on my part, first thing was it ended up smelling of cinnamon strongly, I used the bark as opposed to the more expensive stuff you get in the Schwartz jars but next time I will scale back the amount that I put in , another thing was watching the video some of the measurements seemed to vary a lot, that was over two chefs spoons of vegetable ghee that was used and so I increased the amount I put in,  also I scaled back the chili, the other thing that I don't understand is where you got all of that oil to rise to the surface from, 2 chefs spoons of veg oil plus one of palm (veg ghee), there was as much on the surface in the picture as when I have used bases with 300ml or more on this site , anyway have yet to try cooking a curry but will report back what it comes out like.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Hi

@Whandsy

Really glad to hear you enjoyed the base and it scaled down well for you! excellent :)

@ThaiExpat

You are correct Cassia Bark (http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Natco-Cassia-Bark.html) is the correct thing to use.

Regarding the oil - It seems that the final image of the base is actaully quite deceiving. In the photo it seems like there is a actaully quite a lot of oil on the surface. However in reality it was really only a few millimeters. I always stir this back in to the base with the Zaal base as there really is not enough depth to bother trying to scoop any off.

Excited to know how you get on making a curry with it. Please let us know.

Cheers all

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12 AM »
Bump: thanks for this thread, Solar.

I'm out of garabhi so decided to do the Zaal. The only other "true" BIR base I've done so far was the C2go one.

( Off topic but is that right, that Julian is selling up due to ill health? Anyone know how the big fella is? Bit of a shock. )

No veg ghee so I used Rice Bran Oil which is very "clean" and neutral and in Aus we get heaps of it here from Thailand at around GBP 3 a litre.

I used my own dry mix which is basically  C2go plus a wee bit of grated nutmeg and some all purpose seasoning powder which I guess has some MSG maybe.

With the Akhni stock I gave the Cardmom a bit of a whack in the mortar and pestle to crack the husks, and I snuck in a couple of Black Cardmom as well as I love that stuff  :).

I've always been a bit suss about the heat of my current supposedly Kashmiri Chilli powder and the base has come out a bit hot, but no worries, I'll adjust when cooking batches.

Tomorrow I'll do something chickeny and hot  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59 AM »
( Off topic but is that right, that Julian is selling up due to ill health? Anyone know how the big fella is? Bit of a shock. )

Not Julian, but a very close member of his family.  He has sold up, but the health issue is looking much more promising.

** Phil.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Hi beachbum

Certainly looks a very good colour and consistency from the photos! - did you make a reduced quantity version - just wondering from the pictures. If you did would you mind ( assuming you consider the base a success! post your quantities for others to enjoy? ).

Would be very pleased to hear how you get on and what recipe(s) you make with it.

I am personally very satisfied with the Zaal base / Abdul 8 spice combination myself - finally reached a place where I can stop 'flitting' from one base / mix to another and concentrate on learning new recipes, techniques and generally improving cooking skill, knowing there is a solid recipe that has been restaurant tried and tested behind it all! - plus thanks to CR0 & Az we can all share enjoy it!

Cheers

Offline djossie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Just 1 question. Is it really 4kg of onions and not 4lb?
It just seems a lot of onions.
Thanks guys

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Just 1 question. Is it really 4kg of onions and not 4lb?
It just seems a lot of onions.
Thanks guys
Welcom djossie - and yes it really is 4kg of onions.  Has the added avantage of providing loads of good gravy for many a curry once you've cooked it though  ;)

Offline djossie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Thanks curryhell, much appreciated

©2024 Curry Recipes