Author Topic: Chicken Curry  (Read 15286 times)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Curry
« on: May 07, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Cooking/Prep time....1hour 20Min's.        serves.3-4.

900g(2lb) Chicken pieces.
        25g(1oz) fresh garlic,peeled.
        25g(1oz) fresh ginger,peeled.
        3 green chillies or 1 green pepper.
        60ml(2fl oz's) cooking oil.
        3 large onions,finely chopped.
        1tsp turmeric powder.
        1tsp chili powder.
        2tsp garam masala.
        1tsp tandoori powder.
        3tsp tomato puree.
        170g(6oz) plum tomato's,peeled.
        2tsp salt.
        fresh coriander to garnish...(optional)

(1) Place the garlic,ginger,green chillies(or green pepper),turmeric,chilli,garam masala,
              tandoori masala,tomato puree,tomatoes and salt into a liquidizer and blend until
              smooth.

(2) Heat the oil in a large pan and cook onions until golden brown.

(3) Add the chicken pieces and the contents of the blender and stir for a few Min's.

(4) Reduce the heat,cover and simmer for about an hour,stirring every 5-8Min's.

(5) Garnish with fresh coriander.

I cooked this last night and I used green chillies. They were about 4" long and I did`t
        deseed them. It did make the curry quite hot and had a very strong chili after taste,
        maybe due to the size of chili. It serves 3-4 (depending on servings). My son ate his
        (with a few glasses of water) but I left mine and reheated in microwave later and it
        seemed to take the sting out of it.......... ;D.............regards..........mike..

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 10:36 PM by mike travis »

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Try eating a fresh tomato with it that will take the sing out of it; as it will with all types of spicy foods.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 06:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip  ;) . I have just spent most of the afternoon in the kitchen cooking this curry again. I made a couple of changes and the results were very good;-

2lbs onions chopped,fried and then blended to a paste.
             3 small fat green chillies seeds removed.

It must have been the seeds that gave it a bit of a sting.. :o ...........Regards......mike. ;D

Offline rossy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Made your chicken curry for the second time this week and it just gets better!!  I added some fresh tomato towards the end of cooking as i love it, and some fresh coriander.  The family love it too i can't wait to make it again.

Thanks again

Chala

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:38 PM »
Nice one,  ;) How many tomatoes did you add?? How long before the end of cooking?? I had a Chicken Madras from my local BIR at the weekend and I must say the similarity was very close. My wife had a Chicken Rogan Josh which does contain tomatoes. At the moment she is not all that keen on this curry so if I can make it Rogan Josh style then we will have a result.............cheers.. ;D ;D..mike

Offline rossy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Hi Mike,  Just one tomato quatered 15 mins before end.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 07:59 PM »
Thanks for that  ;) I will be in the kitchen on saturday so I will let you know how it goes............cheers.. ;D..mike

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 09:54 PM »
I sliced 2 tomatoes and added them last 15 mins. Mixed reaction. Still not like a Rogan Josh for the Mrs. Me and the boy enjoyed it thou. Looks like I am gonna have to find a recipe for Rogan Josh.......any ideas???........mike ;D

Offline bumtrouble

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Mike, it was superb, I added creamed cocconut and fenugreek leaves to sauce as chicken was cooking, also left chicken on the bone....superb ;)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Thanks for giving it a try and I am so glad you liked it  ;) I have used powdered fenugreek in another recipe and it does have a distinctive taste, dont know about the leaves thou. I bet the meat just fell off the bone  :P  Were these the only changes you made to the recipe? Did the coconut make it Tikka Masala "ish" ??

Thanks again for your comments. Love the name by the way. Hope you didn`t have any after cooking this ..........cheers...mike  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes