Author Topic: Small clay tandoor pot for domestic oven?  (Read 31975 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Small clay tandoor pot for domestic oven?
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Hi does anyone know anything about this:

http://www.wmpot.co.uk/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=280

Don't like the price of this little clay pot at all, but I can see some off piste potential in it. Unless tikka is cooked in a tandoor, it's not better than the bir's.............sorry blade  ;)

ELW

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Small clay tandoor pot for domestic oven?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Unless tikka is cooked in a tandoor, it's not better than the bir's.............sorry blade  ;)

I disagree. It may be difficult to prepare naan bread by other methods but I consider Blade's tikka cooked using a domestic grill as superior to the vast majority of tikka I've had in BIRs, which presumably they cook using a tandoor.

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:32 AM »
I don't know if domestic ovens produce enough heat to emulate a tandoor.

Does anyone know if there is a small portable - probably gas fired off a BBQ cylinder?? tandoor on the market at all?

Edit: oops I just checked online and they are indeed available with a nice stainless outer cladding and are about five hundred clams UK  :o :o

Eat that tikka, kids, or else. I'll have you know that each bite cost ten bucks  ;D

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:17 AM »
I dont think a domestic oven will reach anything like the temperature of a tandoor.  Agree blades chicken tikka takes some beating.  No comparision to the miserable 4/5 bits of soggy steamed/microwaved tikka my local TAs serve up as a starter, and always garmished with those orrible greasy slimey onions. Yuk!  But, I'm  off out to an Indian restaurant tomorrow night for the first time in yonks.  Looking forward to make a few comparisions, including the chicken tikka.  I would like a tandoor oven though for the naans :P

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27 AM »
They have been advertising these http://www.weberbbq.com.au/CompareProducts.php?comparisonId=1 quite heavily on TV in Australia, Christmas approacheth  ;D. I wonder how hot they could get? You can get a pizza stone to fit.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a small portable - probably gas fired off a BBQ cylinder?? tandoor on the market at all?

Edit: oops I just checked online and they are indeed available with a nice stainless outer cladding and are about five hundred clams UK  :o :o

You could always build your own with these items for around 120 pounds  :)

Galvanised dustbin 18 pounds

Two of these. one inverted on top of the other.
5 pounds each

An angle grinder for cutting the bottom off of one pot (maybe both) and making a hole in the side of the other pot and the dustbin for air and the wok burner
If you dont own an angle grinder, borrow one from a friend

4 or 5 quid  Fire cement for sticking the two pots together. Or save some money and just use the lime mortar mix.

Short piece of piping from the scrapyard for a couple of quid  for bottom ventilation and wok burner

Large bag of perlite or vermiculite 20 quid or less for insulation between the pots and bin.

1 square mtr chicken wire. couple of quid  or anything that will hold the insulation down for cementing and sealing upto the rim of the pot opening and the dustbin.

ready mix and lime 6 or 7 quid

wok burner 26 quid

a wire basket or  fire grate from an old bbq - FREE

bag of bbq lava rocks less than 5 pounds

small bottle of gas 18 pounds

hose and regulator 6 or 7 quid

Cheers, Frank.  :)

p.s. that last pic is from the net. it looks more like a straight pot than the ideal belly shape you would achieve with two large terracotta planters. I'm just showing how it could be finished with the mortar.

** you will also need to raise the lower pot up from the bottom of the bin with some mortar or fire bricks for added insulation/height adjustment/longevity of the bin.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Surely one small omission to that list : submission of detailed plans, accompanied by professionally drawn-up risk assessment analysis and functional prototype to local Fire Brigade for investigation into possible breaches of the Non-permanent External Cooking Devices Act 2007 (as amended) --

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 05:49 PM »
I'd swap the galavanised bin for a steel drum...pronto

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:21 PM »
When i first thought about building one i would've gone with a steel drum.
But they are usually too big, dirty and harder to source for most people, so a galvanised bin is an easier alternative and will work just fine.
I did look into finding a clean steel drum last year but the nearest was over 100 miles away!
A good price at 8 quid but not worth the fuel and trouble.

I'll keep the steel drum for a homemade smoker when i get one.  :D

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09 PM »
welders working on galvanised used to be poisoned by the zinc given off. Different temperatures, but charcoal gets seriously hot also. Adding food to the mix could be potentially dangerous...steel bin or drum would be on the safe side.

Tandoor cooking produces a completely unique flavour to food, that isn't obtained by a charcoal barbeque & certainly not by an oven or grill. Thats why I still buy it. Assume nothing when it comes bir tikka, it could easily come from an oven
I'd say blades tikka is popular as it doesn't contain yoghurt, which when used out of balance in tikka,tastes sour & supermarket like, when cooked at home. Try cutting yoghurt with milk & upping some of the other ingredients

Edit- anyone ever uses a clay pot of any kind in their oven? I've seen them casserole style for under a tenner, which raises suspicion about the price of this one.

©2024 Curry Recipes