Author Topic: Another Curry Night at the Uni...  (Read 9624 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another Curry Night at the Uni...
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 06:00 PM »
Hi Bob,

Interesting comments regarding the Sri Lankan chefs loving the base, I guess its something new to add dimension to what they already know. I am certainly looking forward to seeing some of their traditional recipes.

Clearly you are passionate about this, I have enjoyed reading your topics as you progress. I think the thing that I admire most is that your producing the food in bulk. You seem to be coping with it very well. Perhaps you could ask the head chef to buy a Tandoor ;)

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is a passion of mine :)

The Tandoor is on the list, but given some of the antiquated equipment in the kitchen already, I dare ask for a Tandoor right now.

The other main restaurant at the Uni, (The Founders) was closed today, so we had the bulk of the students, and guess what? Friday being Fish & Chip day, the main deep fryer decided to pack up and we had to resort to one of the smaller fryers for "Grab & Go" (Chinese dim Sum/Prawn selection) and Chips, (You would not believe how many bags of chips we get through in a single session) all had to be done with these silly little fryers lol, it was manic but we got through....

We have an open day tomorrow, expecting some 3000 people, so not quite quite sure how we are going to do chips right now.... :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Fantastic Bob  ;) all looks wonderful  :P Good to see a crO member showing em how to do it  ;D
Bob,what was the reason for using the Taz base is it your favourite at the mo ?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Fantastic Bob  ;) all looks wonderful  :P Good to see a crO member showing em how to do it  ;D
Bob,what was the reason for using the Taz base is it your favourite at the mo ?

Hi Emin,

The main reason for using Taz's base is because it is a simple base, (albeit my favourite base), but also because when making it on such a large scale, prob in the region of 10 litres of the final base at a time, and also because I have to still make all the final dishes in bulk, I am never going to achieve the flavour of a single portion as would be cooked in a restaurant.

However, having said that, the final dishes are coming out better and better all the time, based on such a large scale.

I have made a few individual, one - two portion curries on the stove in the kitchen which have come out just like I would make at home, albeit, the blender we have does not blend the base as smoothly as I would want it to be...

Hope this helps :)

©2024 Curry Recipes