Author Topic: Naan Bread Non-Yeast Recipe  (Read 10800 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Naan Bread Non-Yeast Recipe
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I recently posted a picture of a couple of curries, with rice and naan.  My only purpose for posting this was to share with members what I was eating that evening.  I was somewhat taken by surprise and a bit embarrassed by some of the positive responses to the picture, particularly about the naan bread (see below).

I am a bit of a note keeper and I have been experimenting with non-yeast naan bread for while, with my formal notes going back to 2010.  Each time I have made naan I have taken notes and tweaked the ingredients or method to a point where I've now got something that is acceptable, short of buying a tandoor.

I've tried various ingredients but these have been changed by adjusting quantities more than adding or removing them.

I've tried various methods such as:

leaving the dough to sit or cooking it straight after mixing
making the dough quite dry (like a bread loaf) or making the dough quite wet
sprinkling water on the naan before cooking
using a hot non-stick pan to cook the bottom and hot grill to cook the top
using a hot non-stick pan to cook the bottom and flipping it over to cook the top
using a hot non-stick pan to cook the bottom and a blow torch to cook the top
placing a marble chopping board in a maximum hot oven to heat and cooking the naan in the oven
placing a marble chopping board in a maximum hot oven then cooking the bottom on it and using a blow torch to cook the top
smearing with butter before cooking the top or putting the butter on afterwards

I believe that it is in the cooking method more than the dough, where the essential characteristics of naan are achieved.  In the method section I've included a method for the hob and one for the oven.  In the notes section I have included some hints / tips based on what hasn't worked and what I've found has worked for me.

This is where I have got to so far:

Naan Bread (Non-Yeast Recipe)
Makes 4 small or 2 large naans

Ingredients:

150g self raising flour
150g plain four

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Naan Bread Non-Yeast Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Mixer with dough hook or K-beater, Stephen ?
** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Mixer with dough hook Phil

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:24 PM »
Thank you !  Incidentally, I made a steak-and-kidney pudding with mixer and dough hook recently, and it was a disaster : the pudding simply didn't fluff up as it usually does.  My normal puddings are 6oz or 8oz flour, but this one was a 12 oz-er, so I thought the mixer would be easier.  It may well have been easier, but the results were nowhere near as good as I get cutting the suet in with a knife ...

** Phil.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18 AM »
These look really great ! However, aren't you cheating a bit when you say "Non-Yeast Naan" ? I mean self raising flour includes leavening agents such as baking soda, baking powder and/or instant dry yeast.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56 AM »
These look really great ! However, aren't you cheating a bit when you say "Non-Yeast Naan" ? I mean self raising flour includes leavening agents such as baking soda, baking powder and/or instant dry yeast.

I don't believe that self-raising flour ever includes instant dry yeast.  Stephen is clearly differentiating between yeast-based naans and non-yeast-based naans, and neither baking powder nor baking soda nor self-raising flour include yeast, so for me the distinction is clear (yeast is a living organism, baking powder/soda are non-living chemicals).

** Phil.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Nice looking naans Stephen and a very clearly laid out recipe with options to suit most people .. thanks very much for your hard work and generosity in sharing it ... another to try   :)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18 AM »
looks good Stephen well done mate.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:01 PM »

I don't believe that self-raising flour ever includes instant dry yeast.  Stephen is clearly differentiating between yeast-based naans and non-yeast-based naans, and neither baking powder nor baking soda nor self-raising flour include yeast, so for me the distinction is clear (yeast is a living organism, baking powder/soda are non-living chemicals).

** Phil.
Hhhm, that may be true (no yeast in self-raising flour). However, in that case I don't understand the advantage of a non-yeast naan (except for possible flavour differences). I figured it wouldn't use any leavening agents at all. I can see tons of advantages to that (and problems).

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Hhhm, that may be true (no yeast in self-raising flour). However, in that case I don't understand the advantage of a non-yeast naan (except for possible flavour differences). I figured it wouldn't use any leavening agents at all. I can see tons of advantages to that (and problems).

For me, the advantage of  a yeast-free dough over a yeast-based dough is that one does not have to understand yeast !  Yeast, being a living organism, has a mind of its own (in a metaphorical sense); if it likes the conditions, it will grow, multiply, give off CO2, cause the dough to rise, and so on; if it doesn't like the conditions, it will just sit there and sulk.  Baking powder has none of these foibles : it does what it's told, and that's the end of it.  Now I happen to believe that yeast is better, for most home baking, but if Stephen can get a non-yeast-based naan to not only /look/ like the real thing but to taste like one, then he is going to save a great many would-be chefs a great deal of heartache !

Incidentally, as I composed this, a thought came to mind : there is a saying in the equestrian world that you tell a mare what to do, ask a gelding, and discuss it with a stallion; exactly the same is true of baking powder, instant yeast and real yeast, in that order ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes