Author Topic: white korma?  (Read 14946 times)

Offline korant

• Chef
    • View Profile
white korma?
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:41 PM »
for years i didn't even know there was a name for this type of korma. just found out a few weeks ago. there are a few recipes on the net for white korma. today i found a white korma mix from Shan.

anyone have any good white korma tips?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: white korma?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:18 PM »
anyone have any good white korma tips?

Yes, don't eat it!  ;D

Seriously, it's as if someone was one day eating a korma and thought "hmmm...this korma isn't bland enough, what can I do to make it blander?". And, by removing almost all spicing from the dish, the white korma was born. Blechh!

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Urrgh! If there can be any worse crime committed against the noble art of curry cuisine, for me it has to be the korma. The combination of sweet, creamy and almondy just makes me want to heave. And if there can be any worse crime than the korma, then it can only be a WHITE korma! Good grief! The idea brings back far too many memories of hideous 'white dinners' at primary school.

I mean, just LOOK at it! Seriously, would you really - honestly - be happy if you were served this and be looking forward to getting stuck in?

That said, while to my mind a korma is the very antithesis of what a good curry should be, for some it is no doubt a pleasant experience. Each to their own, and may you have many happy evenings of korma indulgence.

Mind you, although the picture on the cover looks like something the dog has sicked up, the ingredients list isn't shy on the spices (although salt is, worryingly, the number one ingredient, and strangely for a korma, chilli is number two):

Salt, Coriander, Red Chilli, Garlic, Ginger, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Turmeric, Sugar, Mace, Cumin, Citric Acid (E330), Cinnamon, Onion.

Any korma connoisseurs fancy trying it and reporting back?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:56 PM by Salvador Dhali »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Jesus, you don't even cook the chicken.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:20 PM »
A traditional homestyle curry, not even related to BIR Korma

Chicken white korma

BIR Korma, historically known as the womens curry, is still in the top five of most popular curries sold.

Tip: It's nickname in the kitchens is "Baby Poo" ;) because in the past they used to use Cow & Gate as an ingredient.

cheers Chewy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:38 PM »
"Cow & Gate" what, exactly ?
** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Urrgh! If there can be any worse crime committed against the noble art of curry cuisine, for me it has to be the korma.

How intolerant is that? You should keep such opinions to yourself.  It reminds me of the sort of people who come across a pop artist who they can't stand and then write a bad review on a site like amazon or play.com

I happen to agree that a while korma doesn't sound very promising but it's quite possible for a good chef to produce fine flavours, even if the end result does have a pale appearance.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54 AM »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Urrgh! If there can be any worse crime committed against the noble art of curry cuisine, for me it has to be the korma.

How intolerant is that? You should keep such opinions to yourself.  It reminds me of the sort of people who come across a pop artist who they can't stand and then write a bad review on a site like amazon or play.com

I happen to agree that a while korma doesn't sound very promising but it's quite possible for a good chef to produce fine flavours, even if the end result does have a pale appearance.

The intolerance is all yours, sir. And you are downright rude into the bargain.

There was me thinking that a forum, to use the dictionary definition, is a place "where ideas and views on a subject can be exchanged", but apparently not. According to George it is a place where opinions should not be aired - unless of course, they are his.

Did you ever pause to consider how ridiculous that is? How on earth do you expect a forum to work if people keep their opinions to themselves?

I am 100% aware that a good chef can produce fine flavours, but while respecting those who like the dish, I reserve the right to dislike even the world's finest BIR korma (or any other dish containing sugar, cream and almond). I reserve the right to dislike the idea and look of a white korma even more, and, more importantly, I reserve the right to say so.

George, I have come across many posts that you have made that I do not agree with, but to paraphrase Voltaire, while I may not agree with what you have to say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Please extend the same courtesy to others.

Thank you.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Hi SD,

Absolutely correct, in my opinion (ooops!  Am I allowed to express an opinion?)  ::)

Whatever.  In my opinion, you have every right to express your disdain for a "sweet, creamy and almondy" curry.  Others, of course, may disagree (which I do, because I am very partial to a good BIR korma - or a good BIR pasanda).

But, as you say, if you can't express an opinion (which isn't a personal attack on anyone), then what are forums all about?  ???

I also agree that, going by that photo, the "white korma" (which, I admit, I have never heard of) looks totally watery and insipid.  Not my idea of a BIR korma, at all!  :-X

©2024 Curry Recipes