Author Topic: white korma?  (Read 14839 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: white korma?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 06:17 PM »
It was just a joke Phil..... Do you really think I would serve that kind of food to the public? ;)
Sorry, I confess I did think you were serious.  I should have known better ...

Oh, by the way, there will only be 2 curries on Halloween, Thursday night will be curry night as usual with more choice if you are around :)
Excellent, I will liaise with Joan in Camberley and see if Thursday will be convenient for a visit, top-soil collection and maybe PC installation, and will then endeavour to be at the Hub for opening time (17:00).  What is the best way to let you know I am there ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 06:24 PM »
It was just a joke Phil..... Do you really think I would serve that kind of food to the public? ;)
Sorry, I confess I did think you were serious.  I should have known better ...

Oh, by the way, there will only be 2 curries on Halloween, Thursday night will be curry night as usual with more choice if you are around :)
Excellent, I will liaise with Joan in Camberley and see if Thursday will be convenient for a visit, top-soil collection and maybe PC installation, and will then endeavour to be at the Hub for opening time (17:00).  What is the best way to let you know I am there ?

** Phil.

I would suggest just turn up at the serving place and ask front of house staff, to see Bob from the Kitchen, look forward to seeing you :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 09:33 PM »
but to paraphrase Voltaire, while I may not agree with what you have to say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Interestingly (or not perhaps  ;D) that statement, universally attributed to Voltaire, was in fact made by a British woman and he paraphrased what she wrote. So, in fact, you're paraphrasing a paraphrase!  ;D

I wish I could remember her name it was a classically beautiful English name.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Evelyn Beatrice Hall ?

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Thanks Secret Santa and Phil - I have learnt something new! Who would think it, eh? By concatenatious circumstance, to whit, the expression of an opinion on an open forum, comes the birth of knowledge previously unknown to me (and, I would venture, many others). 

And you are indeed correct, Phil. It was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 11:59 AM »
ROTFL (or even, if George is not looking) PMSL :)

You may also enjoy the following exchange between myself and a friend/colleague when I wrote about "toiling all night long" on a particular task (admittedly in intentionally very flowery and ornate language :

Quote from: Phil
To the Worshipful Company of the Order of the Knights Digital, greetings.  This humble messenger brings you tidings from afar.

Hearkening to your command that those forced to use the thrice-accursed Opera be not cast out entirely from the sublime world of those able to apprehend in their full glory the utterances of Georgius Edrychus (blessed be his name), your humble servant has toiled all night long and believes that there may indeed be salvation for these poor souls . . . 

Quote from: Chris
Sincerely hoping "all night long" to be an hyperbolic conceit of your rhetorical efflorescence and not a manifestation of the eschewal of circumlocutory synonymy in categorising an implement of excavation . . .

Quote from: Phil
One is forced to confess that, on this occasion at least, one was guilty of employing a modicum of hyperbole.  However, the alternative (of asserting "it was but the work of a moment") would have left one open to totally justiable accusations of immodesty, so on balance hyperbole appeared to be the preferable option . . .

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 04:26 PM »
I'm sure one of you two is Leonard Sachs.   ;D

It's funny but her name isn't as pleasantly English sounding as my fading memory told me it would be.  :'(

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06 PM »
In her biography on Voltaire, Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

But presumably that also applies to my opinion that it's out of order to criticise too heavily anything which clearly isn't to one's taste, as in mocking those who might enjoy a korma, pop artist or anything.

However, let's give your approach a try. I'll no longer refrain from expressing my true opinion on some of the dishes you enjoy making, but which I personally can't stand. I think it will be a retrograde step for the forum, if everyone does what you're done, but let's give it a try. I urge everyone to join in.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 07:44 AM »

Rob  :-X

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 09:50 AM »
It's funny but her name isn't as pleasantly English sounding as my fading memory told me it would be.  :'(

Could It have been Hilda Ogden?  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes