Author Topic: Which Prawns to buy?  (Read 8159 times)

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Which Prawns to buy?
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:35 PM »
BIR, Chinese, and Thai Restaurants and takeaways have much bigger prawns that I see for sale in the supermarkets.

Which ones should I buy and where?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Which Prawns to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:57 PM »
BIR, Chinese, and Thai Restaurants and takeaways have much bigger prawns that I see for sale in the supermarkets.

Which ones should I buy and where?
I forget where you live, Tommy, but if in East or South-East London, See Woo on the Greenwich Peninsula is your venue of choice.  The larger the prawn, the greater price per gramme (or per ounce), so the actual size you get will be dictated both by your intended use and the depth of your pocket.  More easily available are Waitrose Essential raw king prawns, which will suffice if you don't need something enormous and can afford the Waitrose markup over See Woo.

* Phil.

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:45 PM »
I live in Norfolk.

The best prawns I have found so far (for value and size) have actually been from Farmfoods.

However, I can't help but think that restaurants and takeaways must be getting frozen prawns far cheaper and bigger and that nearly every place has the same looking king prawns (that are bigger than the supermarkets sell).

I wonder if someone could ask a restaurant of takeaway if they could buy a whole unopened bag of frozen king prawns from them... and then check the label. Even if they say "no" then perhaps ask which ones to buy and from where?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 06:10 PM »
    Asian Foodmart
    65 Dereham Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2 4HU
    Tel: 01603 621 412
    VAT number: 988 7281 46

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53 PM »
    Asian Foodmart
    65 Dereham Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2 4HU
    Tel: 01603 621 412
    VAT number: 988 7281 46

I actually know that shop but it doesn't sell them. I wonder if BIR get them from wholesalers such as Makro etc.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I actually know that shop but it doesn't sell them. I wonder if BIR get them from wholesalers such as Makro etc.
We have both Makro and See Woo on the Greenwich Peninsula, and the selection in See Woo is infinitely greater than that in Makro. Sorry that the Asian Foodmart info. was not useful; I would be inclined to have a word with the owner of a good Chinese restaurant, if there is one nearby, and ask where they get their king prawns.

** Phil.

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:04 AM »
We have both Makro and See Woo on the Greenwich Peninsula, and the selection in See Woo is infinitely greater than that in Makro. Sorry that the Asian Foodmart info. was not useful; I would be inclined to have a word with the owner of a good Chinese restaurant, if there is one nearby, and ask where they get their king prawns.

** Phil.

Thanks Phil.

I hadn't heard of See Woo before and it seems they would have what I would be looking for if I lived nearby:

http://www.seewoo.com/frozen/seafood-2/10

I have a local Chinese (but not a local Indian) and will see if I can find out. I will post back here if I manage it. Anyone else reading this, then please do the same.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Hi Tommy

Most BIR I know use "Mr Prawn" large prawns for normal prawn dishes
and the King Prawns are "16's" and usually Bangladeshi Tiger Prawns.
They come packed in frozen blocks, shell on, 16 to 20 per block, hence the name.

Any Indian Supermarket should have these in the freezer section
Seamark are one of the UK's top Importers/producers and suppliers to the industry.

http://www.seamark.co.uk/ProductsBrands.

I'd recommend  looking for these products, as their restaurant quality,
cheers Chewy

Offline daveyham

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Good link there Chewy did you have a look at the recipe section?
A few I might try.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Hi davey
The Recipe Book is a bit "Cheffy" for most, but for seasoned cooks, its an excellent FREE resource.
I have tried the Salmon Tikka with my own GM mix and Kashmiri Chilli,  good result.

Been meaning to try the Thai "Pla Rad Prik"
Deep-fried Sea Bass or Tilapia Fillet
at some point as its a bit like Manchurian, which I like. :P

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes