Author Topic: Indian night at the Uni - Focusing on Vegetarians  (Read 8107 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Indian night at the Uni - Focusing on Vegetarians
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 11:55 AM »
They buy these pots of garlic puree which when opened is a brown colour :(
The stuff I am using (photographs and brand name to follow) is, and remains, a nice creamy colour.  Of course it contains preservatives, but I can't detect them by flavour in the final dish.  The  frozen and peeled ginger and garlic, photographs of which another member posted recently, look a good idea, and I shall get some when I am next in the store concerned, but not having to faff around making my own g/g puree is (in view of my present workload) a great relief !

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 12:00 PM »
They buy these pots of garlic puree which when opened is a brown colour :(
The stuff I am using (photographs and brand name to follow) is, and remains, a nice creamy colour.  Of course it contains preservatives, but I can't detect them by flavour in the final dish.  The  frozen and peeled ginger and garlic, photographs of which another member posted recently, look a good idea, and I shall get some when I am next in the store concerned, but not having to faff around making my own g/g puree is (in view of my present workload) a great relief !

** Phil.

It does all come down to time and convenience at the end of the day :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I've run out of fennel seeds and panch phoran, and need to go get some this weekend as I want to explore more with vegetables :)

Its funny because I have been surprised at what I have been ordering at my local lately. One dish I absolutely can't get enough of at the moment is the Sag Paneer. I'm not entirely sure of what's in it but they cut the paneer into small cubes and fry it with the spices,  before adding the spinach and other ingredients.  Of course I have a Chicken Sag Paneer but the dish would lend itself to the addition of other chunky veg.

I also enjoy using sweet potato in curry dishes as well as cauliflower keema. When it comes to Indian, the variety of combinations is almost endless. I think you'll enjoy working up some great vegetarian dishes, looking forward to hearing more about them. :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I guess I have been a little ignorant and concentrating on BIR too much and forgetting the fact that the majority of Indians are in fact vegetarian and there are some wonderful vegetarian dishes to be had.... maybe with a BIR twist... ;)  ::)

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52 PM »
I'm not sure if it is a common BIR dish, but at Indian restaurants here in the US "Navratan Korma" is a staple, and quite delicious.  Another restaurant favorite is Malai Kofta (vegetable dumplings in a creamy sauce).

I can't vouch for this recipe yet, as I am hoping to give it a try it tonight, but it uses a base gravy (though individual spices, not mix powder) :

http://myfancypantry.com/2012/04/15/vegetarian-vegan-korma/

There are a TON of excellent veggie Indian dishes out there.  It sounds like some of them aren't as plentiful across the pond as they are here.  Just another reason that I want to delve more into the US Indian Restaurant techniques.

©2024 Curry Recipes