Author Topic: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!  (Read 31586 times)

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Well, I'm pretty pleased with it anyhow!,
Today I dragged the other 'arf to Olympia bbc good food show , with the intention of getting a belated birthday pres she owes me and a knife from 'Kin Knives'
Well, no coffee machine as surprisingly there were none on show, but the knives were there, and to top it all the limited 'Gordon Ramsay' knife was on offer from ?145 to ?100!!
Happy days!
Tis the sharpest knife ive ever handled(and the most expensive by about ?90 I've ever bought)
It had better last a lifetime!
Gotta mind the ol pinkies now!

Also got a few tubs of naga chili pickles, naga olives and tamarind pickle.

I also allowed her to buy some cheese, as long as it had chilli in it!!

Curry on chaps!!

MM

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:05 AM »
I'm a sucker for a good bit of folded steel, so thought I'd check this out.

http://www.kinknives.com/gordon-ramsay-limited-edition-knife/gordon-ramsay-limited-edition-kin-knife-170mm-87.aspx

What a beautiful looking blade!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Very very nice bit of kit (green with envy >:( ) Best keep them pinkies well out of the way :o

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 11:09 AM »
No wonder the Japanese economy is booming when they can sell knives at those prices !  My last knife purchase was a set of five in a wooden sheath for

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:37 AM »
I have to admit I am a sucker for a bit of Steel as well. Although not paying those kind of prices, the collection is coming along nicely :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:57 AM »
And of course you carry those with you driving to and from Royal Holloway !  "Mr Plod, a word in your shell-like, please" :)

But a more serious question : does the bag have kevlar reinforcement so that the blades can't accidentally come through in the event of an accident ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I very much doubt it Phil, and they are secured in the boot of my car not in the passenger compartment :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 02:04 PM »
That's a nice bit of Damascus on show, nice one.

A very fine collection indeed Bob, i'm envious.

I can't afford expensive blades but my trusty kitchen devil does me very well indeed for my simple needs. The problem i've always struggled with is how to sharpen them properly.

I bought Gerber Paraframe for field prep'ing rabbits and sharpen that with pro stone set I bought that accurately provides a choice of angles etc. It works extremely well on the short 3" blade and gives it an incredibly good edge, but its no good for sharpening longer knives.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 02:40 PM »
That Ramsey knife looks like its been in a few samurai warrior battles  :D
And sadly reminds me of a knife i once bought for me old man.  >:(

I moved back home for a few months in my 20's in between flats.
Two things that me old man loved and was going to miss when i moved back out was my large Swibo chefs knife and my mandolin.
So i decided to buy him a good knife from a chef shop in Wimbledon. (this was before there was a cookshop in every small town)
About a year or so later i was cooking something at his house and asked where the knife was.  :o
He'd been hacking the bamboo hedges down with it.  ::) Completely ****ed!! 

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:41 PM »
That's a nice bit of Damascus on show, nice one.

A very fine collection indeed Bob, i'm envious.

I can't afford expensive blades but my trusty kitchen devil does me very well indeed for my simple needs. The problem i've always struggled with is how to sharpen them properly.

I bought Gerber Paraframe for field prep'ing rabbits and sharpen that with pro stone set I bought that accurately provides a choice of angles etc. It works extremely well on the short 3" blade and gives it an incredibly good edge, but its no good for sharpening longer knives.

Ha Ha... I have a splendid Kitchen Devil back from 1979, which is still as sharp as the day I bought it and use it regularly in the kitchen at home, wonderful knives :)

I've found the best way to sharpen a knife with the old stick type sharpener and make sure it is quite new and not worn, is to run the blunt blade of a knife, across it in a downward motion about about 40-45 degrees a few times.

The first few times it will just slide, then around the fourth or fifth time you will feel it, "bite" against the grain, then you know it has taken effect. Do this a couple of times with both sides of the blade.

Then adjust the angle to about 20 degrees to, "hone" the edge to razor sharp :)

©2024 Curry Recipes