Author Topic: In search of a Chicken Balti recipe  (Read 14242 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: In search of a Chicken Balti recipe
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Well then.  Can't believe it, but very nearly hit nail directly on head for this dish (I've longed for) tonight, by accident!  A few tweaks and 5 or 6 more cloves of garlic and it's there.  It's a karahi, no base gravy, cooked balti style, i.e fast, and popped in the oven.  Will post some pics soon.  It ain't pretty, but I don't care.

Rob  :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 11:16 PM »
This is the pre-cook, "base", for the King's Balti.

Pre-cooked chicken thigh mince, with special Pakistani spices.  Oh yeah!  All that is needed now is shed loads of caramelised onion and garlic, and green chilli.  Oh yeah!  I'm so excited, I almost pm'ed myself!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Tonight's effort.  Just needs the onions, garlic and chilli, and chicken.

Happy days!

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 06:54 AM »
So happy for you Rob  ;)
send me a portion for a second opinion  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36 AM »
That 100 book is it for me. Am currently putting recipes into a spreadsheet so I can take a better view. Also done same for front of book bases.

Had missed out the other bases ie kings and now realise big mistake. Thanks for info.

On technique I'm sure the ovens not right. 

I've tried hot fry but did not like and now cooking on kitchen hob 1 kw. I then transfer to pre heated balti dish (heavy cast iron). Not perfected yet was pre heating to 300C but hit and miss burning. Thanks to maillard now thinking 200C but continue with the heat on. This condenses the sauce very much and caramelises around the edge. I can't decide if stirring is good idea.

It's all good stuff even though we don't know enough we are defo moving in right direction.

Might have to drop no 3 madras and vindaloo. A curry in karahi just calls me.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Sorry I'm muddling things up Jerry.  This is not a balti, as such.  There used to be a curry house near Aston Uni called King's Balti (could actually have been Queen's Balti, not sure).  Late '90s. No longer there.  But they did this ultra-dry balti/karahi.  The lads at the Adil remembered the place.  Definitely Pakistani and they recalled the dish.   This is what I made.  :)

Very pleased Michael.  Dead ringer for the dish I was after from King's Balti.  No sauce.  Dry as a bear's bum.  Can't believe my luck.  The thigh mince was left over from another project I'm messing about with (rubberised Pakistani sheekh kebab).  Had way too much and thought might as well pre-cook it for a keema or two later.  Fairly standard pre-cook, green cardo/mace etc, but no tej pata (ran out).  Got a bit bored last night and decided to do a bit more seasoning of my latest "authentic" balti pan.  Then realised I was a bit peckish, so out came the pre-cook.  A bit of this and a bit of that and it was done.  Bingo!  Maximum taste, and maximum calories.  No wonder I put weight on when I used to visit the place.  Needs the fat though, or it would have just crusted up. Very special Birmingham karahi.

Also trialling this stuff.  Oh yeah!  Taste. 79 p.

Rob :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47 AM »
On technique I'm sure the ovens not right.

I've tried hot fry but did not like and now cooking on kitchen hob 1 kw. I then transfer to pre heated balti dish (heavy cast iron). Not perfected yet was pre heating to 300C but hit and miss burning. Thanks to maillard now thinking 200C but continue with the heat on. This condenses the sauce very much and caramelises around the edge. I can't decide if stirring is good idea.

It's all good stuff even though we don't know enough we are defo moving in right direction.

Might have to drop no 3 madras and vindaloo. A curry in karahi just calls me.

Can't wait to get in a balti kitchen Jerry.  My money's still on the pressed steel.  According to Ali at the Kushi these authentic pans are no longer available.  As they wear out the restaurants are unable to replace them.  I've searched high and low.  I got a couple some time ago but the rims were sharp, not right.  The one in my pic earlier however is pretty much spot on.  Started out life teflon-coated.  I fixed that with caustic soda  ;D. Blue steel underneath.  Looks good and it has the right balti ring/sound to it.  The heat transfer is mental, but controllable.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Have to say I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that my lovely Lacha paratha has been overlooked.  :( ;D 

However, onwards, tonight I'll be serving naan with the King karahi (madras strength).  Proper.  Side serving of chopped fresh green chilli. Ice-cold Cobra too. Yum!

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Have to say I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that my lovely Lacha paratha has been overlooked.  :( ;D 

However, onwards, tonight I'll be serving naan with the King karahi (madras strength).  Proper.  Side serving of chopped fresh green chilli. Ice-cold Cobra too. Yum!

I did notice it though but it got over shadowed by your balti pan. I'm thinking pressed blue steel non-stick wok from Poundland or B & M's  :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Thank you for noticing my paratha Gav.  Got the pan from an Asian supermarket.  It is (was) a 10 inch non-stick karahi.  I'll check the Poundland wok.  If it's the same I've been done; paid

©2024 Curry Recipes