Author Topic: Methi chicken vs Ex hot lamb vindaloo  (Read 29417 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Methi chicken vs Ex hot lamb vindaloo
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Few pics of last week's efforts.  Just two curries.

Methi chicken

Under way

Nothing fancy.  Basically a madras sauce but with about 30-40 g of fresh methi, a little black cumin, and replacing some of the chilli powder with a tsp of Colemans English mustard.

Cooked until pretty dry.  Very tasty.

Ex hot lamb vindaloo

Under way. Another simple dish. A basic curry with 1 1/2 cs of ex hot chilli powder, and a squirt of lemon dressing. Awesome.  Pretty fiery, so could only manage half a portion.

Started messing about with the leftovers last night, after a couple of Cobras.

Ex hot lamb vindaloo with boiled basmati rice garnished with black cumin, and served with a fresh naga chilli pepper salad.

Realised at the last minute that uncooked naga and cumin was probably a bad idea, and had it with a ready-made garlic naan instead.

Rob  :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Methi chicken vs Ex hot lamb vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Started messing about with the leftovers last night, after a couple of Cobras.

Look out Malc, you've got competition on the presentation front :)
** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:44 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:33 AM »
proper job that, looks great.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:46 PM »
As usual, your pictures never disappoint bb! How long did it take you to put the onion/cucumber mountain together?

I'm horrible when it comes to presentation, sometimes I try, but no matter how delicate I try to be, I always feck it up!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Bob, that vindaloo looks identical to the one i cooked up on thurs :o :o .  Like yourself i used a good rounded chef's spoon of extra hot chilli powder as i picked the wrong one up at the shop.  Not a problem but i need to be  a bit careful when cooking the milder dishes that contain chilli powder ::) . The meethi dish looks succulent and tasty.  I can get fresh meethi so i'll give that one a go.  The presentation - spot on.  My mouth is watering and i've still got half my vindaloo in the fridge along with half an Elaichi north indian special cooked on friday  :P :P

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Both those dishes look good enough to lick straight off the screen! :) I definitely like the look of the Methi Chicken, though, so that'll be next on the menu for me to try.

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Both dishes look fantastic, though I fear 1 1/2 chefs spoons of extra hot chilli powder would be somewhat troublesome, both on the way in and........

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Few pics of last week's efforts.  Just two curries.

The vindaloo looks excellent.  Also, good effort with the presentation, especially after a couple if Cobras! :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:05 PM by George »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Splendid looking pictures there Bob
Nice Tip about the Colemans Mustard
When I shop in Tooting Ive seen big tubs of Commercial Colemans English mustard
And thought I must give it a try
So thanks for Jogging my memory  :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Thanks all. Well pleased with these two efforts.  Particularly the methi chicken as I've not made it before.  The chef at my local TA would actually use dried methi for this one though.  Also seen Coleman's English used to make methi gosht, chicken sharisha and, most recently, chicken shaslick. For the shaslick, the onions, peppers etc are first mixed with a dollop of the mustard, together with a little gm and turmeric powder, before being skewered ready for the tandoor.

At one time much less chilli powder in a curry would have wreaked havoc with my poor old giblets the next day.  However, watching different chefs at work has really emphasised the need to cook the chilli powder/spices properly.  This seems to be achieved (mainly) before any base is added to the pan, and gives a lovely "smoothness" to the heat/flavours.  Plus, no significant next-day issues.

Rob  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes