Author Topic: "The Chicken Curry with No Name"  (Read 1746 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
"The Chicken Curry with No Name"
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Planning to try Ghoulie's recommendation for Waitrose Makhani sauce, I took advantage of the fact that their delicatessen counter were remaindering some barbecued garlic chickens to buy one for less than £3-00.  It then transpired that they do not stock the Makhani sauce, so I ordered a takeway with an extra portion of Vindaloo sauce, intending to marinade the barbecued breasts in that.  Unfortunately the so-called "Vindaloo sauce" turned out to be little more than dish-water, so that same evening I knocked up a batch of KD1-style base sauce (green, no liquidised tomatoes, turmeric or paprika :  1lb sliced onions, 2 oz g/g paste, 1 3/8 pints cold water, cooked for about 100 minutes in a pressure cooker at full pressure) which this evening I sieved, using a large sieve and the base of a stainless-steel ladle to simulate a mouli.  I then added a fair amount (unmeasured) of garlic-infused and chilli-infused rapeseed oils, then made a paste with a couple of teaspoons of g/g paste, 1 flat teaspoon each {Kashmiri mirch, Deggi mirch, Bolst's curry powder, Dhania-Jeera powder, Rajah-brand ground mixed masala}, a heaped teaspoon of cumin, and some more chilli-infused rapeseed oil.  I also made a paste of about a tablespoon of tomato purée  with a little boiling water.  Into the hot wok went the g/g and spice paste, and this was given a good stir and left to cook until it had considerably reduced in volume and there was a distinct smell of cooked spices (mainly chilli) in the air.  This was then quenched with the tomato purée paste, followed almost immediately with maybe 50ml of the KD1 green base.  Then a further 50ml, then a third, and finally the remaining 150ml of green base.  Then some coarse sea-salt crystals, and all left to cook "until the oil came out", then served.  Delicious -- far far better than any recent takeaway Madras, and simplicity itself to make.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:23 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Online Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • "My work here is done."
    • View Profile
Re: "The Chicken Curry with No Name"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Interesting, a green base!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Interesting, a green base!
Well, it struck me that since one usually adds tomato (in some form or another) when making the final curry, there is probably no point in also putting it in the base.  KD1-style base is really about as simple (and therefore as flexible) as one can get.

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Online Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • "My work here is done."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Some logic there; I visualised a kind of guacomole! -but not that green I take it, just a lightish hue from the onions?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Some logic there; I visualised a kind of guacomole! -but not that green I take it, just a lightish hue from the onions?
Exactly !  Kris refers to it as "green", and I have simply adopted her terminology.
** Phil.

©2020 Curry Recipes