Author Topic: Tomato Paste/Puree  (Read 2281 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Tomato Paste/Puree
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Am I right in thinking these are considered the same.  I've been using double concentrate supermarket puree, but nearly all recipes call for tomato paste.

If a recipe calls for 2tbsp of tomato paste for example does that include  the water added to dilute the paste or not? Confusing to me as some suggest anywhere from 1:1 to 1:4 mix.

Obviously the following is crystal clear but not all instructions are :-

2 tablespoons of tomato paste (diluted by adding 4 tablespoons of water to it)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato Paste/Puree
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:23 PM »
Forgive the late reponse Uclown but as i'm sure you're aware the forum has been deluged with spam posts.  Given the number it has been difficult to actually see legitimate posts.  Anyway, in answer to your question, no, they are definitely not the same.  Read the posts below which go into  some detail as to the differences.  I can't seem to find the thread i'm really looking for though  :-\ .  If i do i'll post it later.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4436.msg40590#msg40590

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3808.0

I must admit to being very warey when i see tomato paste in a recipe unless its quantified.  Fortunately, most recipe providers on here nowadays specify exactly what is required.  Misinterpret it and it can have such a huge impact and possibly even ruin a perfectly good curry IMHO.   Always better to err on the side of caution and add less or assume they mean diluted.  I know some forum members dilute as much as 1:4 -  1 part paste to 4 parts water whilst other prefer a 1:1 ratio.  Personally, i prefer to follow a 1:2 ratio as used at Zaal's in Fleet.
The example you quote is open to interpretation.  Does it mean 2 tbsp already diluted or does it mean dilute 2 tbsp with 4 tbsp of water.  One needs to be very clear when including this in any recipe.  I know, cos i committed the cardinal sin which could have resulted in very tomatoey curries through unclear recipe instructions.  Anyway, i hope this all helps to answer your question albeit a little while after you asked it ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:15 PM by curryhell »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:49 PM »
uclown - like CH I regard "paste" as "puree" that is diluted with water. The stuff that comes out of the tube is somewhat less firm than the stuff you can buy in tiny little tins and takes a bit more water to dilute to the same consistency as the puree that comes out of the tube. I know this makes it even more complicated.

It's like any other ingredient in as much as you can get away with adding too little, as you can some more to taste, but add too much and you will end up with an overpowering tomato flavour that can verge on being quite bitter in taste. I note than in my Madras recipe I use 2 level tbsp of puree mixed with 2 tbsp water, which is probably the most paste I use in any one recipe. In others I use it as follows:

Bhuna - 1 tbsp puree + 1 tbsp water
Jalfrezi - 1 tbsp puree + 1 tbsp water
Dhansak - 1 tbsp puree + 2 tbsp water
Pathia - 1 and 1/2 tbsp puree + 2 tbsp water
Vindaloo - 1 and 1/2 tbsp puree + 2 tbsp water
Ceylon - 2 tbsp puree + 2 tbsp water

Hope this helps!

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:02 PM »
1:2 Ratio - for us here if its a 910g tin empty contents then 2 tins of water either mix well or a quick pulse or wo in the blender - Job done.
I'm afraid we don't have the same luxury as Stephen being able to have more puree or more water - we have to make up a batch and use it for all - however can use as much or as little in a dish as we like.

Best, Rich

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Thanks guys; very useful info right there.

No wonder it it is difficult to recreate that BIR taste with so many variables involved.

Onwards and upwards!

©2024 Curry Recipes