Author Topic: Curry House Decor  (Read 3679 times)

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Curry House Decor
« on: June 11, 2006, 05:15 AM »
What do you expect when you eat at a typical Indian restaurant?

I prefer the classic style, with flock wallpaper, high-backed wooden chairs with upholstered seats, heavy tables placed together as needed to seat varying numbers of people, carpets, subdued lighting, and so on.

Near me there was one restaurant which had just that, and the food was excellent. But they had a second restaurant a short distance away which was much brighter and had those horrible round aluminium tables with matching chairs that screeched when you moved them. Whenever I ate there, I think the food was not as good - but I reckon the atmosphere had a lot to do with it as well.

The trouble is they refitted the main one in the same style: it was like a public lavatory lit by floodlights inside. Really ruined it.

So what do you like?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Curry House Decor
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 06:27 AM »
So what do you like?

Just good food.....the decor is meaningless.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Flock wallpaper and dodgy Bollywood music everytime  ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Traditional style dark with ye old flock wallpaper with traditional Asian music gently playing in the background.....ace !!!
Give it to us old styleeeee !!!!!

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 02:33 PM »
...I forgot the music. Yes, you're right.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:13 AM »
This Saturday I was at a place with flashing Christmas lights in the window  ::) it didnt improve the flavour of the Balti. Of course, given two places with identical food I will always go for the better decor. A place with atomosphere, preferably something blocking off a view of the street (dont want to eat in a shop window), a place without a tv in the corner, a place which looks clean, one with indian music in the background, one where they havent packed the tables too closely.

The food (and price) is the most important though.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 11:15 AM »
As long as the Curry is good I'll sit out on the pavement and eat it  ;D

Layne   ;)

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Although my question was mainly 'what kind of decor do you prefer?' and not specifically 'do you think it affects the food?', I'm a bit surprised that some people think the environment doesn't add or take away from the experience :)

When I saw that, I suddenly thought of all those boring folk who go to Spain or wherever and then come back as though they're the only people ever to have experienced tapas, Greek salad, paella, and so on. And if you point out to them you've eaten it, it is clear that the one they had was exceptional and much better than yours.

Therefore, I would conclude that environment and ambience must be a factor (large or small depending on the individual) somewhere along the line.

I mean, even here people strive to make the curry look right (bright red Tandoori etc.) when it adds nothing to the flavour.

Just some thoughts :)

Offline scrufts

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 10:20 PM »
My "normal" idea of an curry house is the flock wallpaper, indian music in the background , the odd picture of the Taj Mahal and an aquarium full of fish who can sometimes look more tasty than the curry! The little cards on the table advertising kingfisher or Cobra Beer. then of course there is a bloke sitting on a row of chairs by the counter reading the Sun and waiting for his take away, the couple in the corner desperately trying to have a romantic meal only to be drowned out by the group of lads at a nearby table trying to outdo each other in curry eating, drinking and talking loudly.  Aaaaaaaaah ,just soak up the atmosphere.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Joking aside I am not too bothered by the decor - I'm more of a take away guy myself. As long as the curry is a good 'un then I'm not too fussed. However from personal observation, the restaurants with the flashy upmarket decor often have flashy upmarket prices to match.........

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 12:17 AM »
Well said Scrufts,

I agree with you, the upmarket ones are for nights out and the price reflects that, the grubby looking back to basics curry houses are sometimes the best.

Stew 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes