Author Topic: Domestic Tandoor  (Read 17562 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Domestic Tandoor
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Has anyone had any experience of using a domestic tandor just like Bruce Edwards does in his excellent articles found in these pages.

can you buy them and how much, where from and sre they easy to install and use

Panpot

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic Tandoor
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:50 PM »
Pete has he bought one a while ago but hasn't been on the forum for a while.

Offline naga dave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:09 PM »
    Drawback is they're a bit on the small side, so food is a bit close to the heat , which results in uneven cooking, especially of nan. Also, you must regard these as suitable for outdoor use only, unless you install an industrial-grade extraction system. A better investment would probably be a BBQ grill for meat, and try your hand at the tava method for nan. [With practice you really can make restaurant grade nan and k.nan.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Here's a well known site set up by a chap named Piers who built a tandoor in his garden:

http://piers.thompson.users.btopenworld.com/index.html

The recipes and other web site content petered out though, a few years back. Although he says a new baby meant he and his wife now have other priorities, I can't help thinking these tandoors might not get very much use and/or live up to initial expectations.

Regards
George

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Thanks guys,

Firgive me but what is the tava method and where do I find out how to do it

Cheers

Panpot

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:58 AM »
Thanks guys,

Firgive me but what is the tava method and where do I find out how to do it

Cheers

Panpot

Hi Panpot,

A "Tava" is similar to a very flat frying pan.  You should be able to find one in an Asian store.  I often use one to cook naans.  Arguably, the benefit of the tava is that it simulates the wall of the tandoor oven (i.e. the bit of the oven that the naan is stuck to). 

To cook a naan using a tava, you whack the tava onto the gas burner and heat it for several minutes until it's very, very, hot.  You then whack the naan bread onto it and cook it, for a minute or so, until brown spots form on the underside of the naan.  You can either flip the naan over and finish it off on the tava, or dabble ghee over it and place it under a very hot grill for another minute or so (again, until brown blisters form).  Arguably, the grill simulates the centre of the oven.

Alternatively, stick with a very hot grill for both sides of the naan.  This works perfectly fine provided you have a good naan dough.  Just ensure that the grill is very, very hot.....and watch the naan cook very closely!  :P

Hope this helps!  :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:01 PM by Fat Les »

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:09 PM »
PS:  It's also very noticeable how "authentic" the little burnt bits on the naan taste (provided you haven't crucified them, that is!  :P)

....and, I reckon this is the very same effect (i.e. "smokiness") that a curry picks up when using a well seasoned wok/kararhi (.......as all Indian restaurants do).  8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:47 AM by Fat Les »

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 02:45 PM »
PPS:  I see Mark J has a picture of his tava here (so to speak!  :P:o

.......http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,700.0.html

......his is a little bigger than mine!  :'(  :P  ;)

.....actually, Mark J's is bl**dy HUGE compared to mine!  :o  (nice one Mark J!  : ;D)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:48 PM by Fat Les »

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:58 AM »
hi guys try using the method in bruce edwards curry house cookery. i have used it to good results.forgot to buy naan bread so used kd's quick recipe left it to settle for 30mins before cooking. i'm sure if you have a good recipe for your naan then this method will work for you ;). i do have a small cast iron frying pan which like the tava and the cast iron woks hold heat for ages so people use gloves ::)

regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes