Author Topic: Healthy Curry Base  (Read 6566 times)

Offline jonnyv

• Chef
    • View Profile
Healthy Curry Base
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I started on a diet :( but didnt want to take curry out of my eating , so I started trying to make a healthy base , here is what I have done so far , Im hoping that someone can add some ideas to this recipe to extend it :

Finely chopped onions
Finely chopped Tomato's (whole / not tinned)
Garlic
These are fried together in a low cal spay :D
Once they are browning add in spices, such as :
Turmeric
A little chili powder
Salt / Pepper
Next pour over about 1/2 a cup of boiling water

Keep stringing until you have a soup like curry base ( certainly more chunky than a more traditional base ) but forms a good healthy alternate.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy Curry Base
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:21 PM »
I've tried making a healthy base before and found it not worth it, theres a big difference if you cut the oil out.   The best thing to do is make everything as normal and drain all the oil of just before you eat it. 

I have got a low fat indian cook book thats ok but makes more traditional style curry, I'll have a look for it.

cK

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:21 PM »
As TV chefs like to say, "Oil carries taste."  It just can't be the same without it. 

Why don't you make your curry the usual way full of oil, and then meticulously spoon off the oil that comes to the top, even blotting it with a paper towel.  One such curry, with tandoori chicken (low-fat), raita (low-fat), and a small amount of boiled basmati (low-fat) should be okay.    Especially if you have a lean breakfast and lunch.  And run around the block a few times.

-Mary 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:42 PM by merrybaker »

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Hi,  Don't play around with the base, make it normal.  I eat curry every weekend and have lost 52pounds over the last 15 months.  Just drain oil off, or as much as you can and just eat less of it and serve with basmati rice and tarka dhal.  Beats going without!!!

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 02:55 AM »
The same goes for salt - it is a major flavour enhancer and curries need a lot to taste 'right'.

I remember when I was at school, someone (a lab technician) had this story about how he had put a 'thimble full of absolute alcohol' in a teachers tea and they had been drunk as a result. In fact, a typical pint of beer contains way more alcohol than that. He just didn't realise that and assumed that absolute alcohol was somehow magically potent.

People sometimes tend to think of oil as if one tablespoonful will make you put on a stone overnight - when you probably get more per day from eating bread and other things than you would from a curry.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:12 AM »
I agree with the comments made by the other forum members on this topic  - drain off the excess oil . If you do that , it is not the oil consumption that you have to worry about , but rather total calories consumed , regardless  of the source . Just think smaller portions and drink plenty of water with your meal .

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 03:40 AM »
As I recently commented in another thread........

......"having read quite a few of the threads on this site, I?m not at all sure that we are all looking for something similar in our perfect dish   (and there?s nothing at all wrong with that...we're all different after all).  It seems to me that many people are looking for???

??an oil free, fat free, sugar free, salt free, MSG free, artificial colouring free, artificial ingredient free, cholesterol free curry (?..no doubt cooked on a turbo charged halogen hob!   )?..that tastes just like the British Indian Restaurant curries of yesteryear!!!!? ;)....and then wonder why it?s missing that ?certain restaurant taste?!!   :-\:o

Personally, I think what people are seeking, in the above, is the curry of the future (or maybe even the present?)...which is absolutely fine, whereas what I?m after is definitely after is the curry of the past!   

As you rightly indicate (and as one famous BIR restaurateur once remarked  ), ?one man?s meat is another man?s poison!?

Happy cooking!   (I'm now off to rest my weary heart! )"

:P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:42 AM by Fat Les »

Offline jonnyv

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:09 PM »
Thnaks for the input guys , skimming the fat seems like a good method. Cant see the missus liking it as she has no ways of measuring the weight wathcers points, but its good enough for me

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Keep telling her you love her just the way she is! :)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Ive also lost 2 stone in 6 months and I go to the local curry house each week!

©2024 Curry Recipes