Author Topic: Curry Makin  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Curry Makin
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Wandering around in old posts I came across this nice post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=122.0 from Mark J. I havent tried this technique but as it comes from a curry house and has been witnessed by a leading member it has to be the real deal. As Ifindforu?s base is quite "runny" i was think maybe this was a good base to use with Mark J?s curry.

I havent had time to make Ifindforu base but ive bought most of the spices for it, and as it promises to make a good dish i was wondering which technique would be the best to produce  a BIR style curry.

What techniques and "must have" spices do other members find the best for a BIR style curry?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:48 PM by Admin »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Curry makin
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:47 PM »
Hi Ashes,

I would say cooking over Gas and on full blast is important, when ever i go into a Curry House where i can see the kitchen my heart sinks when i see the chefs cooking over huge blue hot gas rings and with flames shooting 3 foot-up the sides as i know i can not replicate this at home

Still i do shake the pan vigorously as it looks the part and i turn the electric hob up to max at all times and cook at 100 miles per hour......this does make my other half laugh sometimes....

In a funny sort of way when you see it done proper and then taste the real deal it just makes me want the knowledge even more
Stew 8)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Makin
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:17 PM »
Ive noticed a difference when making individual portions ie; curry for 1, and making curry for 4+, it seems alot easier to make a good curry when its only for 1 person. Do curry houses only make individual portions or do they make 3-4 curries in the same pan at the same time, anyone know?

The techniques i use to make a BIR style curry are different from a trad balti. I usually use the KD method for curries; precooked meat and then oil in the pan on a high heat.. add the base sauce, chillies, chillie powder and salt,  add the spices when the sauce is reduced, lower the heat and add the precooked meat, coriander. It usually produces a nice tasty curry and works well when ive got nans on my stone in the oven, not too much stress although i think i get off on trying to time everything so the rice is perfectly done and the breads are ready when the curry finishes.

I think i enjoy making the food as much as i enjoy eating it, its always nice to surprise friends with a dish approaching a BIR curry. If id made a curry 15 yrs ago like i make today then id think id have been well impressed with myself :)

;D Ashes

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Do curry houses only make individual portions or do they make 3-4 curries in the same pan at the same time, anyone know?

I've been meaning to ask the very same question on here for a while now (but I keep forgetting).

Anyone here seen a BIR chef cooking 2 of the same dish by simply doubling the amounts in one pan?

I get into all sorts of trouble trying to reduce the sauce and seperate the oil if I do that.  To be on the safe side if I'm cooking for someone else, I cook mine first and keep it warm in the oven, wipe the pan and then cook the second.

It would help if I had two suitable pans, I suppose! ::)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Do curry houses only make individual portions or do they make 3-4 curries in the same pan at the same time, anyone know?

I've been meaning to ask the very same question on here for a while now (but I keep forgetting).

Anyone here seen a BIR chef cooking 2 of the same dish by simply doubling the amounts in one pan?
Yes They do make 2 dishes in 1 pan for example= If me and the Mrs have CTM I like mine Madras Hot where as she likes hers as it comes (medium sweet)

So the chef cooks both in 1 pan once it's cooked he pours the medium CTM into a carton (counting the appropriate lumps of chicken) then returns the pan to the stove and proceeds adding chilli powder to mine.

add the spices when the sauce is reduced, lower the heat and add the precooked meat, coriander.
I have watched Indian chefs on many occasions and they Always add the dry spices to fry for a few Min's in oil before adding the gravy !

Just thought I'd clarify a few things.

Layne   ;)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 04:00 PM »
thats interesting, i dont do that although have made alot of Pat C?s currys (in the past) and he uses that method, i think its more traditional to add spices that way, although riskier than adding them to the base sauce later.   Maybe ill have to go back and try that in my next curry attempt, cheers L

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:00 PM »
Thanks for that answer, Layne. :)

I'll have to try that next time - my partner prefers madras strength but I'm a vindaloo villain.  It'd make life easier and quicker with less washing up to boot.

So - when the chef's cooking two lots of CTM in one pan, and he's finished the mild one, he just stirs more chilli powder 'dry' into what's left in the pan for your hotter dish?  I only ask because it means the chilli powder won't have been fried off like the other spices. How long does he cook the dish on for after adding the chilli - is it just stirred in and served up? 

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 12:55 PM »
is it just stirred in and served up? 
No the remaining CTM is cooked for a further 2-3 Min's once the chilli powder is added and I must say I cannot detect any rawness / chilli powder it it simply evaporates into the sauce.

I hope this helps in your quest for less washing up  ;D

Layne  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:09 PM by laynebritton »

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 04:02 PM »
Thanks Layne! ;D

(For hands that do dishes...)

©2024 Curry Recipes