Author Topic: A note about chillis  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Muttley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
A note about chillis
« on: January 31, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Many people think that the heat from a chilli comes from the seeds.

This is not true. It actually comes from the spines.

Of course, since the seeds are in close contact with the spines, they tend to have a lot of the 'heat' on them.

If you really love the flavour of chilli, as I do, the best way to get this is to cut chillis in half, scrape out the seeds and all the spines and finally, wash the chillis.

The washing is most important as otherwise you retain a lot of the active ingredient that you've smeared all over the flesh :)

You can use far more chillis prepared in this way without getting as much heat as even half a whole chilli.

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A note about chillis
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 08:14 AM »
Good idea to wash your hands afterwards too (or wear rubber gloves). I have a friend who got all amorous with his wife not long after preparing chillies. Needless to say, his affections were cut short.

Offline Muttley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:15 AM »
A very good point!

There are various painful consequences that can be quite amusing when related days later.

By far the most common consequence though, is painful stinging eyes when you rub them.

You also really need to wash your hands twice, to make sure you get rid of all the nasties. (or once, very thoroghly with plenty of soap).

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:22 AM »
Well once as I was dishing up my Vindaloo on to the rice i got a splash back of the gravy straight in my eye  :'( The most pain i have felt in a very long time, i really thought i was gunna lose it.

Its ok now though  ;D

S

©2024 Curry Recipes