Author Topic: ever been to india ?  (Read 9375 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ever been to india ?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 09:31 PM »
On the tv programme Delhi Belly, they showed an Indian chef cooking in his restaurant.  It was a popular restaurant.  He prepared bases.  I think there were 3 in total.  One was onion.  Not sure of the other two.....I was switching back and forward to watch a rugby match at the time.  Not sure if the others were tomato and spinach.  Did anybody else watch it?  Anway, he did say that he cooked the bases for hours on low heat.  I mentioned this before in the thread discussing the programme.  Anyway, my point is that they do use bases in India too if this guy's restaurant was anything to go by......

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 02:57 AM »
They don't do sauces out in the villages - it would be a waste of time. And those are the 'authentic' dishes.

I always look to Madhur Jaffrey (or even Floyd on India) for examples of authentic recipes because they involve the locals - I've never seen a sauce or gravy in her (his) programmes :)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 06:14 PM »
Indeed, the driving goal of this forum is to reproduce BIR food. It is 95% focused on that aim, all else is secondary.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I totally agree with Mark here.

This forum was setup to be some where that BIR cooking could be discussed but over time it's also evolved to included authentic and Chinese etc..

This forum is the only place to come for BIR recipes and chat, I doubt any members here have anything against authentic cooking but thats not it's primary purpose.  There are plenty of forums and chat groups that mainly focus on authentic cooking like:

http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/forums/index.php?s=47edc01ba959d1f1a1b02440dbf0b615&showforum=10

and

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showforum=40

If I want someone to tell me to "do it right" and that BIR is rubbish I will visit the UK Indian food newsgroup thanks :D

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Hey Guys!  Lighten up!   :o

I'm not sure you're being very encouraging to new members here!  And certainly not encouraging people to post!   ;)

Have England been knocked out of the World Cup or something!!??  8)

Poor old Oscar has probably been scared off for good!  Come back Oscar and check out those threads on Authenic Indian Recipes!   :D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Hi Les,

If I went to one of the forums or the UK Indian newsgroup I linked to and said that authentic cooking is bland rubbish and let me show you that BIR is better I can pretty much guarantee the response I would get would be a lot worse than what Oscar has received here  ;)

I wouldn't want to discourage any new members from joining or posting but I don't see what sort of response he was hoping to recieve, I mean one look at this forum and it's pretty obvious what it's about  ::) 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:04 PM by Curry King »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Hi Les,

Oscar's post was slightly deragatory about the purpose of this forum, hence my rather curt reply.

Also I felt the clear purpose of this forum needed to be stated, if someone is purely interested in authentic Indian cooking then they wont get any joy out of this forum.

cheers

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 02:12 PM »
That's how it came across to me, as well. Not so much the first, but certainly the second post.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I would be leaning more to encouraging new members to try out our recipes. The food is great and  holds its own to any BIR or authentic style. Oscars had bad experiences with BIR (havent we all) lets get people into making their own curries then they can post and keep this great forum alive.

These days alot of people dont post on forums because they are scared to express their views, too many nutters behind the mice, luckily this forum is one of the best around and nearly 100% of the time it is tol(l?)erant and helpful to people with limited experience in cooking indian food and those needing help and advice. keep it friendly and cooperative. ;D Puts us above the competition by a mile.

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 04:03 PM »
True, but if someone walked into your front room and said "Huh! Who said this is YOUR house, then?" when you challenged them it would be hard to treat them as magnanimously as all that ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes