Author Topic: 50 ltr of base sauce  (Read 25074 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: 50 ltr of base sauce
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Here Dirtynunfishing in one of these post is some maths to tell you how much the end results are you can then use your judgment to increase the ingredients to a 50 ltr version with ease matey  ;D

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,674.0.html
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,673.0.html

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2006, 02:02 PM »

So - to recap, then:

Am new to all this.Has anyone got a recipe for 50 ltr of base sauce that can be frozen.

No. :)

Do you just times everything by 5 from a 10 ltr recipe?

That would be the obvious thing to do. ;)

Do the spices get multiplied by 5 or will they be to strong and overpowering?

Some people advise the use of less spices and seasoning - especially salt - when you're cooking in larger quantities.  :o Others claim there are no grounds whatsoever for doing this. :-\

What is the best way to cook 50ltr of sauce?

Cooking it in smaller batches might be a good idea.

Then I would like to cook Madras,Vandaloo,Korma,and Dansak from the same base sauce is this possible.

Absolutely. :)

Also is Ghee better than veg oil or not.

Some base recipes use a combination of both.  As far as I know , vegetable oil tends to be used more for cooking standard BIR bases and dishes, and is much cheaper than ghee, which tends to be used for breads and rice.  It's also more associated with traditional, authentic Indian cooking.

You might like to know that ghee is very, very smelly when it's cooking!

Not to much to ask.

You wouldn't think so. ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Restaurants tend to use KTC vegetable oil
The naans are brushed with oil too
Not ghee

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Thanks, Haldi. :)

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2006, 02:44 PM »

Sorry mate you need to do better research. Salt is quite hygroscopic which is why anti-caking agents are always included in retail salt to prevent it clumping together.

We're still just joking to change the subject from that argument about scaling up, aren't we?

Once again: salt isn't particularly hygroscopic. The amount of moisture it can pick up in ambient conditions is quite small and not very rapid. So whereas sugar, for example, can go on taking on moisture under the right conditions until it becomes a liquid, salt doesn't do that.

The anti-caking agents just keep it flowable for salt cellars where even the slightest caking will cause problems. I can assure you that 50kg sacks and 200kg drums of salt/sodium chloride crystals don't contain any such agents and they are perfectly stable.

The biggest effect on mass when measuring it in volumes is the change in density as it consolidates - larger volumes will consolidate more than spoonfuls :) This was only a pedantic aside to your example about scaling up, after all ;)

For the record, CurryCanuck, I have no need to cut and paste. I work in the science industry, so maybe you could actually learn something, eh?

Is their anything that meets with your ultra-high standards? You seem to have a 'pithy' (I use that term loosely) comment to say about many things ;) Maybe it's you harbouring the miraculous secret to BIRs?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:38 PM by snowdog »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Once again: salt isn't particularly  hygroscopic. And the amount of moisture it can pick up in ambient conditions is quite small and not very rapid. So whereas sugar, for example, can go on taking on moisture under the right conditions until it becomes a liquid, salt doesn't do that.

Fact 1: Pure salt will adsorb water from the atmosphere causing surface 'melting' on the salt crystals. This then recrystalises, attaching to surrounding crytals in the process which causes the clumping effect.
Fact 2: The rate at which salt adsorbs water and the degree to which it is adsorbed is irrelevant to this discussion. All that counts is the mechanism by which clumping occurs as in Fact 1.

The anti-caking agents just keep it flowable for salt cellars where even the slightest caking will cause problems

Fact: anti-caking agents are added to pure salt to absorb the water which would otherwise be taken up by the salt, hence preventing caking.

So yes, anti-caking agents are added to salt to maintain its flow charcteristics, but they do this by preventing the salt from adsorbing water and you just don't seem to get this.

The biggest effect on mass.....

Do what? The mass isn't affected in any way. You can consolidate the salt any way you want, the density will increase but the mass of salt doesn't change at all.

But we were  just joking, right?

I don't know about you but I take anything I read on this forum with a pinch of salt.  ;)

YF

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Pure salt may well absorb moisture from the atmosphere, but it ISN'T a lot. Hence the word 'particularly' in my two posts on the subject ;) You raised hygropscopicity, not me. The biggest effect on the mass of a given volume of salt is the packed density and not hygroscopicity effects.

Do you know what those anti-caking agents are? They are there as lubricants not adsorbents. The ones most likely to be used are colloidal silicon dioxide or magnesium stearate, though I believe salt has magnesium carbonate in it. They improve flow, but they don't preferentially absorb water.

Mass per unit volume IS affected by density. 1000 cm3 of loosely packed salt weighs less than 1000 cm3 of densely packed salt. This was the original point, so don't try and wander off down the you-said-I-said route ;)

No one would measure 2,500 cm3 of salt as in the previous example ;)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Do you prefer Ham to Mittens then ?
Oh, and Mermaids are real.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2006, 06:48 PM »
 :)

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2006, 08:09 PM »
So - to recap, then:
Not to much to ask.
You wouldn't think so. ;D

Thanks for the laugh, Ian.  That's what we needed at this point. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes