Author Topic: 50 ltr of base sauce  (Read 25059 times)

Offline Dirtynunfishing

• Chef
    • View Profile
50 ltr of base sauce
« on: June 26, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Am new to all this.Has anyone got a recipe for 50 ltr of base sauce that can be frozen.Do you just times everything by 5 from a 10 ltr recipe?Do the spices get multiplied by 5 or will they be to strong and overpowering?What is the best way to cook 50ltr of sauce?Then I would like to cook Madras,Vandaloo,Korma,and Dansak from the same base sauce is this possible.Can anyone help?
Also is Ghee better than veg oil or not.
Not to much to ask.

Thanks Dirtynunfishing

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 50 ltr of base sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 11:37 PM »
Do you just times everything by 5 from a 10 ltr recipe?

I'd say yes, basically - scale up or down pro-rata throughout. I'm fairly sure any other approach would be unscientific and simply wouldn't make common sense.

Regards
George

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:21 AM »
You would need a 50 litre saucepan or two 25 litre saucepans. That is some mighty big saucepans, im not sure what size saucepans restaurants use but for home use you will need to make several batches to get 50 litres of sauce and a nice chest freezer to store it all or alot of hungry guests ;)

Ive seen some temple saucepans and they are huge, big enough for an average size bloke to crawl into. Talking serious munchies

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 01:50 PM »
Also, going in at 50L is a bit rash if you're 'new'.

What if it isn't right?

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:09 PM »
No, I wouldn't multiply spices and (especially) salt by 5.  I'm guessing you'll need less.  I say that from personal experience in doubling and tripling other recipes, but I imagine my experience would extend to Indian cooking, as well.   I was taught that in doubling recipes, to use 1+1/2 times the amount of spices and salt, and then to taste and add more as needed.  Of course, that presumes you know the taste you're looking for, and will be able to adjust accordingly. :)

Another point, probably not worth mentioning, but the sauce will evaporate at a different rate from a 50-ltr cauldron than from the usual household pot.  That will change the timing, and, perhaps, the taste.  Again, you'll have to know the final texture and taste you're aiming for.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:15 PM »
You will find the odd recipe here of those quantities, many moons ago I got the exact recipe of the base from my local takeaway (35 onions!)

Offline Dirtynunfishing

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.I have cooked 10 ltr many times and bagged them up and froze them.I have a 50 ltr pot,I thought as much about the salt and spices,thanks merrybaker.You can allways add but not take away. Once its in its in.I will give it a go and see.The reason for this amount I have a party to cater for.Still not sure though about 1 base sauce to make the 4 different curries though.10 kg of onions is only ?5.50 so I will try a base sauce out first and then make the curries for me and the wife, and freeze the rest.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 06:44 AM »
what are the dimensions of your pot Dirtynunfishing, I usually use a couple of 4 ltr pots and they are quite large for my small cooker.

How would you heat up a 50 ltr pot? It must take a while to get it up to boiling point. :o

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 02:10 PM »
I was taught that in doubling recipes, to use 1+1/2 times the amount of spices and salt, and then to taste and add more as needed.   

That's interesting.  I wonder if that means we should be using proportionally higher amounts of spices when scaling down Mark's 35 onion recipe, or in the scaled down recipes that others on the site have been shown?

Half a full base recipe = two thirds the original amount of spices and salt?

Offline Dirtynunfishing

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:12 PM »
The Pot takes 50ltr thats all i know and it does boil on a normal gas hob.This 35 onion recipie,are we talking large or small ones.Surely we need to be talking in kilos.Has anyone got a great recipe for 50ltr of base sauce?????????What about making the different curries in 10ltr pots.Is it the same for the spices then,1+1/2 times the amount.Can anyone enlighten me.

©2024 Curry Recipes