Author Topic: 50 ltr of base sauce  (Read 24894 times)

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 50 ltr of base sauce
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 11:25 PM »
But just to be absolutely correct, the hygroscopic nature of salt is more likey to have a greater effect than the variation in density due to compaction, because the salt would effectively be uncompacted as it is measured out.
I beg to differ on two points.

Salt isn't particularly hygroscopic, so hygroscopicity isn't really an issue - especially over short time periods. In addition, hygroscopicity effects will depend on local relative humidity, which is randomly variable for all practical purposes.

However, the bulk or uncompacted density of salt crystals is approximately 1.15 g/cm3 against the absolute density figure of approximately 2.17 g/cm3. Since table salt also contains flow aids, it follows that a large volume of the granular material is likely to consolidate at a different rate to a smaller volume, especially given its low angle of repose (32 degrees). And consolidation occurs due to gravity in one direction only: towards higher density.

Thus, consolidation would have the effect mentioned ;)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 04:15 AM »
Come on guys ...get with the program ...if you want to turn the forum into a home economics science fair ...so be it. Most of us would not even remotely consider preparing recipes in massive quantities ( unless your into catering ) . Why would you freeze volume when fresh is better ( except for the end product of a base sauce ) . Control of volume ingredients is difficult at the best of times...far better to use " a workable quantity " and maintain quality . If you wish the end product to taste like something that evolved from the mess- hall kitchen ... bland and non-descript - so be it . Perhaps we should stick litmus paper into the sauce to see what the acid-base complex is !!!???
PS - quotes from google searches perporting to be your own material now border on the tiresome . Cut and paste does not exemplify knowledge !
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:47 PM by CurryCanuck »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 07:10 AM »
 ;D

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 08:06 AM »
To snowdog:

Salt isn't particularly hygroscopic, so hygroscopicity isn't really an issue

Sorry mate you need to do better research. Salt is quite hygroscopic which is why anti-caking agents are always included in retail salt to prevent it clumping together.

Since table salt also contains flow aids

and there you go contradicting your own argument!

To CurryCanuck:

Why would you freeze volume when fresh is better ( except for the end product of a base sauce )

Beacause we don't all have leisurely lives where we can take the time to prepare from fresh.

Control of volume ingredients is difficult at the best of times...far better to use " a workable quantity " and maintain quality .

On a domestic level, control of volume gets more accurate the larger the amount of recipe you produce, so your statement is 100% incorrect.

... bland and non-decrypt so be it . Perhaps we should stick litmus paper into the sauce to see what the acid-base complex is !!!???

Now who's turning it into a science fair? You've even introduced encryption into the argument!   :P

PS - quotes from google searches perporting to be your own material now border on the tiresome . Cut and paste does not exemplify knowledge !

Who was cutting and pasting, it certainly wasn't me?  At this 'childrens' level of science, I don't need to refer to anything other than my own knowledge.

YF
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 08:13 AM by Yellow Fingers »

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 08:12 AM »
To be honest salt is pretty unpredictable (although it shouldnt be ), have you ever put alot of salt into a dish and suddenly thought "hmm, the recipe said 2 tsp, could use some more" or "COR blimey Mary poppins thats a bit salty", salt needs to be added carefully and tasted, that is the most reliable way.

Salt is pretty easy because you can always add a little more at the end of the dish if it needs it, spices on the other hand need to go in at the right time or you run the risk of ruining your dish or base, so its quite important to get it right. :D

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2006, 08:17 AM »
Sorry guys! I find it quite astounding that such drivel gets so much attention and so many postings!  ;D  

If only as much energy was devoted to developing that BIR taste...or responding to recipe requests! (here.....http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1023.0.html) ::)

I suspect not many of us are overly impressed by the cheap point scoring going on here; I know I'm certainly not!  But I could be wrong!

I presume all of you guys can actually cook a decent curry then???!  ;)

Ha Ha....."duck"!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 08:24 AM by Fat Les »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2006, 08:35 AM »
Sorry guys! I find it quite astounding that such drivel gets so much attention and so many postings!  ;D 

Fat Les, do you have the wit to see the irony in your statement?

By the way, your moniker, does it imply that you are just fat or are you actually a Fat Les... hmm, perhaps I shouldn't go there  ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Hi People
               I spoke with a couple of chefs, and they said it doesn't matter too much what the base is like.
The flavour happens in the pan, when you cook the final curry

Offline Dirtynunfishing

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2006, 11:44 AM »
So I take it that no one has a good recipe then.God its like Wimbledon on here 0-15,15 all,30-15, 30 all.Ha Ha. Surely we are all grown adults???????????HAS ANYONE GOT A RECIPE for 50ltr of base sauce.And yes I have a busy life and find it a lot easier to take a frozen sauce out in the morning when i go to work and its then ready to cook  when i get home.What about the chefs who cook for Indian weddings on an industrial scale,are there any on here????Please can anyone help.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2006, 12:16 PM »
The answer to that is probably NO, those kind of quanties are too big for your average home user. There have been several suggestions on how you might be able to make that quantity and plenty of discussion on the proportion of spices to use, but no recipe. A 35 onion recipe would be now where enough for 50 litres id imagine, that less than 1 onion per litre and i use around 8 large onions for slightly less than 4 ltrs of base sauce, that works out at around 2 onions per ltr  ;)

Either make several batches or get yourself down to your local takeaway and see if they can help you. Good luck

©2024 Curry Recipes