Author Topic: Recent trip to Takeaway  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Recent trip to Takeaway
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:12 PM »
I took great delight watching the chef cook in a takeaway the other day, it was one of those types where you can see everything.

The simplicity of the process was amazing, the wok had a very small amount of oil added to it and was placed on one of those very large blue hot gas rings, the bottom of the wok sort of sits nicely inside the ring.  The chef then used his finger to throw in, Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander and chili powder, he then flicked a little water into the wok, flames and steam could be seen.

30 seconds later in goes the chicken etc and 1.5 ladles of gravy.
A good shake for 2 to 3 minutes and job done.....so fast, so basic.

The thing i learned from this and tried in my recent curry making was the use of water.
I heated some oil & 1 tablespoon of curry gravy until it was very hot then literally flicked in with my fingers Turmeric, Cumin, Restaurant Masala & Chili Powder, left it for 30 seconds then put in a small amount of water, like 20ml tops.  This really makes a difference and you can let the spices release even more then add your prawns, chicken etc before finally adding more curry gravy and coriander.

Simple , quick and a great result for me.  Pictures to follow.

Stew ;D

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Recent trip to Takeaway
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Hi, Stew, this is interesting, but I'm not sure I understand it. ???

When you say the chef used his fingers to throw in the spices, do you mean he used such small amounts that he could pinch them between his thumb and index finger?  Or did he use all the fingers of one hand to pick up more substantial amounts? 

Or are you saying that fingers are the secret taste? :)   

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:02 AM »
I think the point i am trying to make here is simplicity is the key.
Beside the cooker he had 5 pots of spices, i am assuming

Turmeric
Chili
Cumin
Coriander
Restaurant Masala (a combination of spices specific to their takeaway)

He just took a pinch of each and threw it into the hot oil, then flicked water in.....
Try it at home, it works and helps the taste.

I still don't believe i can release the true flavor of the spices as i am not cooking on gas over a 3 foot blue flame........

S

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Stew!

I realised flicking a little water into hot oil will actually make it hotter instead of cooler, while stopping the spices sticking. Interesting technique, gonna have to try that.   8)

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:14 AM »

The simplicity of the process was amazing, the wok had a very small amount of oil added to it and was placed on one of those very large blue hot gas rings, the bottom of the wok sort of sits nicely inside the ring.  The chef then used his finger to throw in, Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander and chili powder, he then flicked a little water into the wok, flames and steam could be seen.

30 seconds later in goes the chicken etc and 1.5 ladles of gravy.
A good shake for 2 to 3 minutes and job done.....so fast, so basic.

Hi Admin,

I just wondered what dish this chef was prepairing, do you know or was it someone else's order?

Cheers,

Blondie

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 12:48 AM »
Hi,

He was doing the same method for all curries, i ordered a Chicken Aloo, cooked using the same method.
I live in New Zealand and this is the dish that is the closest to British Curry.

My advice try this method and see if it helps.

Stew 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes