Author Topic: Where's Pete?  (Read 12964 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Pete?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 10:40 AM »
curryqueen, people like you make me despair. You probably still believe that the moon is made of cheese (Paneer, of course!).
I object to your objection to the 'salt' thread, nobody forces you to read or partake in it.

P.S.  I too miss Pete's posts, but equally I am enjoying Haldi's, they have a ring of authenticity to them.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Things seem to have turned for the worse with sciences coming into the equation with some people, when all we need is normal and very grateful observations as you have done in restaurants.  I don't think that most of us want to know about the sciences of salt etc! 

Curry Queen

I do hope that, especially as a moderator, you are not trying to stifle debate or rule out science. It reminds me of some scientists despair at how many people are prepared to listen to quack remedies and purchase con-trick products because they lack a basic understanding of science, perhaps because they thought science was irrelevant whilst they were at school.

Regards
George

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 02:38 PM »
No, I am not trying to stifle debate, but was merely pointing out that it was becoming very scientific and didn't really mean too much to me and maybe others.  Also quite heated at times. CQ   :) 

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Hey come on guys and gals this isn't what made Cr0 the best Curry website on the net dear me I'm scrolling down the thread and thinking OOOOh Ouch Hmmm this is not nice reading.

Lets all get back to our main objective making the perfect Curry ;D

Oh by the way does anyone use Maldon salt they do say it's the best quality......just wondering ::)

Layne  ;)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:52 PM by laynebritton »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 06:25 PM »
I also miss Pete's input, hopefully he will come back at some point, I can't belive he has given up the search   ???

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Hi Curry King

I reckon Pete's disappeared because he probably feels the way I do about the current state of the forum. I think it's run its course as far as its original reason for being, i.e. to replicate at home the unique flavour and smell of the restaurant curries. Remember the early days when new ideas came in thick and fast and those lucky enough to have access to Indian restaurant kitchens and chefs were always posting new ideas and recipes? This was the impetus for the great threads of old.
Now we're reduced to looking at pictures of each others curries and talking about what we are going to cook at the weekend! Now actually I'm the sort of sad git who likes to look at pics of other peoples efforts, but let's face it, it doesn't forward the cause one bit.
There's the occasional nugget of new information, like Stew's tip of adding a little bit of water to the spices in the pan, but I don't think there's been any real progress, at least for the long term members, for the past six months and maybe longer.

And just out of interest, that little bit of water added to the hot spices can only be for two reasons:
1. The chef isn't all that competent and he's cooling the spice/oil mix to prevent burning the spices, or
2. he's deliberately trying to ignite the oil, which would imply that it is definitely a necessary step in achieving the 'taste'.

As a final teaser, has anyone ever managed to make a curry with the unique restaurant curry smell? Were you able to repeat it?
Sadly I never have so I will still read the forum and live in hope of ultimate enlightenment.

YF
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:32 PM by Yellow Fingers »

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 07:20 AM »
"I think (this site has) run its course as far as its original reason for being, i.e. to replicate at home the unique flavour and smell of the restaurant curries"

Surely it cannot have ?run its course? since not one person here claims to be able to replicate BIR curries at home! :o Surely, the goal therefore remains unfulfilled and all (relevant) options should still be on the table! :-\

"I reckon Pete's disappeared because he probably feels the way I do about the current state of the forum??so I will still read the forum and live in hope of ultimate enlightenment"

Its not for me to presume why Pete has apparently disappeared, but I would like to think that long-standing (and/or more proficient curry cooking) members would be sufficiently selfless (as I am sure Pete is, from what I have seen of his posts  :)) to:

?   help newer and/or less proficient members become more proficient in their BIR cooking exploits
?   continue to contribute, as far as they are able, to the yet unfulfilled goal of this site

"This was the impetus for the great threads of old?...Now we're reduced to looking at pictures of each others curries and talking about what we are going to cook at the weekend!"

Surely we should recognise that there are now 658 members on this site (and growing rapidly by the day!  8)), the great majority of which have not been members since ?the great threads of old??  They may well have significantly different needs and/or be less proficient at cooking BIR curries than original members of this site accordingly.  Surely their needs are equally valid and should be endeavoured to be met?  Who wants a site that fails to grow?simply because the needs of a relatively small number of original members are seemingly not being fulfilled?  :-\

I have recently recommend this site to a reasonable number of family and friends (yes, I do have some! :P) and encouraged them to join?.I just hope they don?t take one look at the recent postings and walk away again!  :-[  By the way....anyone seen Oscar or Dirtynunfishing recently??..?  :-\

I joined this site fairly recently myself.  I was excited about the prospect of interacting with people with a love for BIR curries and who are devoted to similar objectives.  So far, I've been enjoying the site (thanks Admin, moderators and all contributing members) and I hope that I continue to do so in the future  :)

I would certainly be likely to contribute significanlty more if I felt I was getting positive responses to my posts.  I wonder if others feel the same?

I have also started a poll on the perceived value of curry photos, for those who are interested, here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1050.0.html

PS:  I've changed the picture in my profile to better conform to some people's pre-conceived stereotypes of names!   ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:17 AM by Fat Les »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 08:42 AM »
Hi Fat Les

Surely it cannot have ?run its course? since not one person here claims to be able to replicate BIR curries at home!

Perhaps I should have said it's hit a brick wall! There aren't the great advances that were made in the early days.

Surely we should recognise that there are now 658 members on this site

Yes, but how many are actively participating, 20?...30?

Who wants a site that fails to grow?simply because the needs of a relatively small number of original members are seemingly not being fulfilled?

So you are implying that the newer members aren't interested in achieving the goal of exactly duplicating the best of indian restaurant curries. That after all was, and still is the aim of the forum and its original crew.

I just hope they don?t take one look at the recent postings and walk away again!

I, and I would hope many other members of this forum, am not the sort to let direct or implied insults pass me by, nor will I just gloss over posts that are factually incorrect. If members don't want any more of the "recent postings", have the decency to not post pseudo science, based on conjecture and lack of scientific knowledge.

I would certainly be likely to contribute significanlty more if I felt I was getting positive responses to my posts.

If your posts further the stated cause I would think you'll get nothing but positive responses!

PS:  I've changed the picture in my profile to better conform to some people's pre-conceived sterotypes of names!

Away and get yourself a bucket of Vindaloo.

YF

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 09:14 AM »
The answer is: I don`t know! Sorry Curry Queen

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 03:52 PM »
I would certainly be likely to contribute significanlty more if I felt I was getting positive responses to my posts.  I wonder if others feel the same?

Oh, yes. Negative responses to what you say are just about the biggest turnoff possible.

Often, the way you perceive them also has to be taken into account, though. I've just edited this because of the other topic about photos - painfully aware that my comments could easily be taken the wrong way when no specific 'way' is intended.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:35 PM by snowdog »

©2024 Curry Recipes