Author Topic: I have finally found that missing taste the one we are all looking for.  (Read 19924 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
If you have read my posts you know i am a messer and just have to get there get it right!
Well my curry's have been good but just not on the money till today  :D
So made a different base like CT's and made a madras, nope still not there.
So made a different mix powder dips one, nope still not there.
Ok cook it like dip does in the vids, chuck it all in the pan and cook nope.
Now i have 2 madras curry's both taste different but they are just not on the money.
I did a blind taste test on the wife dips all in the pan come out on top.
So i am sat here thinking what the heck is it that's missing. I turned to the wife and say's the only thing the TA does different
than me is have a hotter stove than me.
Would having more heat change the flavor? how can it? only one way to find out.
So out to the shed to make a very make shift hot jet burner. Time to test thing out, all in the pan for a dips madras.
3 minutes later it's ready and when it was cooking i smelt the smell i had smelt at the TA.
Jackpot The taste it's there oh my god i have done it.
Ok lets try a bhuna dips way, omg that smell when it's cooking and the TA taste is there.
All this time and it's all about PUT A LOT OF HEAT UNDER IT.

This is the bhuna cooking.

finished curry  :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:22 PM by George »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Jackpot The taste it's there oh my (moderated) god i have done it.
All this time and it's all about PUT A LOT OF HEAT UNDER IT.

8) 8) 8) Congratulations on your eureka moment there Chris.  Does that mean you'll be cooking your curries in the shed from now on??? :D  And what is that improvised burner??
There has been much discussion about the heat needed to provide the BIR taste and  smell.  There are many threads that discuss it.  ELWs threads immediately spring to mind.
But then i read about  curries which have the BIR taste and smell but which are cooked slowly and not on a heat equivalent to that expelled by rocket, emin-j is the originator i think, .  Both Haldi and Jerry M have industrial stoves and whilst they agree heat is a contributing factor, for them it still does not totally provide the answer.  Basically, i think we're all looking for the same thing, a BIR curry but our yardsticks are all a bit different when it comes to actually measuring it against what we're aiming to replicate from our local BIR and TA as well as our expectations.
Having said that, it's great you have achieved your personal goal.  But do keep us posted on any further developments and keep then videos coming. 

EDIT - Next weekend the electric is going on full blast, which i have never done before when cooking BIR and i will give it a go and see what the results are like.  Tonight i have something else i want to try ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:57 PM by George »

Offline pauly58

• Chef
    • View Profile
How did you make your burner ? Here in Ireland we have to use bottled gas & there's very little heat from it.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
CH I have resisted the nuclear blast so far, not least due to having an electric hob and the difficulties associated with containing curry splatter on full heat. I have toyed with the idea of getting a separate burner which runs on a gas bottle but haven't got round to it. I'd like to hear how you approach this using an electric heat source.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I always cook on full heat on my electric hob and I use the halogen ring, which is 2.5kW from memory. I give the pan and hob ring two mins on full heat to preheat before adding G&G paste. I think allowing the base sauce to catch a little is important to the flavour of the curry and for that you need a high hob heat, a plain aluminium pan and also in the later stages of cooking it helps not to stir too often.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

8) 8) 8) Congratulations on your eureka moment there Chris.  Does that mean you'll be cooking your curries in the shed from now on??? :D  And what is that improvised burner??

EDIT - Next weekend the electric is going on full blast, which i have never done before when cooking BIR and i will give it a go and see what the results are like.  Tonight i have something else i want to try ;)

I will be in the shed making something to go in the house to give me that heat  :)
"improvised burner" propane burner for melting tar for roofs and a shopping basket turned upside down (patent pending )

"Next weekend the electric is going on full blast" let it rip mate and accept the mess i hope it gets up to the temp i got.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
CH I have resisted the nuclear blast so far, not least due to having an electric hob and the difficulties associated with containing curry splatter on full heat. I have toyed with the idea of getting a separate burner which runs on a gas bottle but haven't got round to it. I'd like to hear how you approach this using an electric heat source.

accept the mess and enjoy the taste your worth it.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
For the same reasons as yourself SL I have resisted the temptation.  I do have one of those small gas portable jobbies just like Salvador Dhali's.  Have yet to use it.  But next Saturday I will turn the heat up full and clear the mess up afterwards just to see whether there is any great improvement.  Just need to decide on which recipe to use ??? Then i'll try this little portable thing to see if there's any further improvement.  At least i'll get some flames  :o ;D

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I always cook on full heat on my electric hob and I use the halogen ring, which is 2.5kW from memory. I give the pan and hob ring two mins on full heat to preheat before adding G&G paste. I think allowing the base sauce to catch a little is important to the flavour of the curry and for that you need a high hob heat, a plain aluminium pan and also in the later stages of cooking it helps not to stir too often.

As you can see from the pic i got it hot, but the mad thing is cold pan and every thing chucked in 3 minutes later curry with the taste and smell

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Not sure what the heat output is of my hotplates ??? I have nothing to lose by giving this a go other than the bloody mess to clear up afterwards >:(  My pans are black iron and i manage to get a bit of "catching" currently with setting up half way.  God only knows what's going to happen when i turn the puppy up to full blast  :o :o ::)  If i have to scour the pan afterwards  I will not be a happy bunny and will be blaming you lot >:( ;D ;D

I don't think my electric hob or for that matter and industrial stove will generate or match the heat output of  that the burner of yours.  Hardly surprising if its main use is to melt pitch  :o :o ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes