Author Topic: punjabi bir gravy  (Read 3745 times)

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
punjabi bir gravy
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I found this today and its bir gravy they use for all sorts of bir dishes, im going to give it a bash, i notice the use of curd for texture plus a whole host of things, looks good! and its cooked in a different way to the methods we are all trying or used too, this is not a finished dish from what i can gather from the reading. i have copied and pasted the recipe to a new folder just incase.
http://www.crazy4veggie.com/punjabi_red_gravy.php

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: punjabi bir gravy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Excellent find Steve.  Funny you should come across this and post it just as i've finished a little experiment of my own connected to the white paste.  The whole spice inclusion also seems to becoming a must as well.  I'll publish a bit more on this once the forum is devoid of so much spam.  I will be very interested to hear the results once you have made the gravy and a couple of dishes from it ;)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Nice one. Looks very interesting!  Good find.

Rob

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Cheers guys i will keep you informed thats for sure, you know someones got to let the cat out of the bag one day if you know what i mean, but the contrast of the whole thing hopefully may cast some light on what we are looking for i dont know! its challenging but when you got a kitchen with a few chefs in it wouldnt take long to make the gravy. curryhell look forward to the updates and yes great shame about the spam,
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:37 PM by stevejet66 »

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:11 AM »
Looks interesting. The Indian TA I gone to for many years has a redy orangey base. I used to think it was more food colouring than anything. I've tried using chaat masala but didn't give me this special tang. I now suspect it's something along the lines of this and quite complicated.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Looks interesting, Do you think it could be made without the white paste? (can't do nut's), I know that it won't taste the same, but would you still get the punjabi style gravy taste?

Les

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: punjabi bir gravy,todays the day!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Just been and got a few bits to cook the punjabi gravy i posted any time now, i will let you all know the outcome, i think with the nuts les you would be ok as they have to be soaked for an hour and puree'd, unless you have an allergy to nuts?

Offline Les

• View Profile
Re: punjabi bir gravy,todays the day!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 01:05 PM »
unless you have an allergy to nuts?

You hit it right on the head Steve,
No Nut's, (to coin a phrase :)) Looking forward to you conclusion on this one, Hope it's good.

Les

©2024 Curry Recipes