Author Topic: FORUM NOW FIXED  (Read 9246 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: FORUM NOW FIXED
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Thank you very much Stew, Sorry to be a pain about my Vindalloo thread,but at least I'm an honest pain in the arse  ;D.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 10:20 PM »
The old PC addage - he who laughs last makes a backup of the data . If we can't have a mirror site , make a copy of the data that you value most in this forum .  :) If incremental backups are not done on a daily basis , it is only a matter of time before data may be lost again . For those posting a " novel " , don't rely on the server to maintain a copy for you - @#%* happens !    :(

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 01:35 AM »
Yea sorry guys i am as gutted as you.
Ok onwards and upwards

S

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Its the only way to go - thanks Stew .  :)

CC

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 02:47 AM »
The mySQL control panel should allow the database to be exported as a text file (or whatever). Mine does.

And the host should have a current backup (somewhat better than two weeks) if you're paying them.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 03:18 AM »
It is rather unfortunate if data is lost - but since we are not paying for any of the services on the forum - what the hell !! Life is far too short , don't sweat the small stuff - there are far more important issues to deal with in life ( lost data is not one of them ) . Stew have a great day and continue the good work . The rank and file appreciate all of your efforts in maintaining the structure of this wonderful forum .  :) :)

CC

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 03:40 AM »
I don't think anyone is implying otherwise, CC.

This is maybe the third data loss situation in three months, isn't it? Plus the outages.

One can easily read between the lines in Todd's post. One didn't have to read too far into what Darth was saying about his posts (but he seems happy now even if his one post being resurrected was at the expense of dozens being lost ;)). Were one to consider making a donation, one would be quite entitled to wonder what exactly one was donating towards?

A host who moves server and causes significant downtime without telling their clients ...? That's not a host I'd be considering.

I work in a call centre and I often warn customers not to start tinkering without making a backup first.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 04:02 AM »
Well snowdog , I guess we beg to differ on this point - I realize that having data lost is an inconveniece to some . But again , since I am not paying for this hosting service ( be it good  , bad , or indifferent ) I am not particularily upset . It is a given that Stew could have given everyone a " heads up " about up-coming server changes , but one has to remember that Stew probably has a " life " as well and cannot devote all of his time into maintaining this " free " forum . In a perfect world , with a perfect server , with a perfect admin. life would be beautiful - I am not perfect - is anyone ! Just for the record , I have made a donation and I still find the work of Stew and the moderators to be both stellar and above the call of duty for a free forum . Chill !
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:55 AM by CurryCanuck »

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 04:57 AM »
I wish you'd stop keep implying (inadvertently, I suspect) that those who haven't made a donation have no right to comment, CC. Or that they should 'chill'. There are several shareware programs floating in the ethers that have my name in them because I've donated, even though I didn't have to. But the donation (stress: donation - not membership fee) is a separate issue.

Anyone who participates in a free, open forum has the right to comment.

Keep losing data is not good - donation or not (probably worse if you have donated and your data go missing). It's hardly going to encourage further donations, is it?

My 'donation' so far (the recipes I posted) have gone missing. Todd clearly feels a bit miffed. Darth did (and was somewhat more direct about it). At the moment, what incentive is there to re-donate?

And I'm trying to be constructive. Just saying 'ah well', and it happening all over again isn't.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 05:01 AM by snowdog »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 05:30 AM »
To clarify - what I was implying was despite the fact that that I made a donation , that doesn't really matter . Donating does not imply privilage . It is a gesture of good faith for the work of others . I applaud the work of both Stew and the moderators , I am sorry data was lost , but for @#%% sake give it a rest mate and move on ! Everyone is free to comment or critisize , but it should be constructive considering that we do not pay for services rendered . Let he who is without sin cast the first stone . Who on this forum wishes to cast that first stone ? Obviously some individuals have a multitude of stones at the ready - pity - Stew , I am sorry that it has come to this ! If text has disappeared , so be it ! Divine intervention cannot bring it back as either will slings and arrows . Given that fact , let us suck it up and develop this site into one of the best on the web ! Those who do not wish to be a team player - find another team !
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:07 AM by CurryCanuck »

©2024 Curry Recipes