Author Topic: Help with my rice  (Read 9342 times)

Offline Dragon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my rice
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 04:15 PM »
in our restaurant we cook 2kg of basmati rice at a time we buy in 5kg bags already clean so no need to wash and all that messin about.
i find the best way is 1 part rice to 3 parts water ie 1 cup rice to 3 cups water, bring water to boil put rice in and stir for the first 2 mins or so after about 12 mins or so the water will be almost gone check a few grains it should still be slightly aldente get the pan and put in the sink turn on the cold tap and let it run not too fast into the rice at the edge of the pan, stri very gently and after 5 mins there abouts the rice will be cold, then drain.
thats it we then vacume pack ours into portions and microwave as needed. simple and the rice is perfect every time.

Offline sardam

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Cory Ander,
I've just made a small batch of Basmati rice using your method and it's turned out wonderfully!
I'll definitely be using this method from now on as it is even better than my local takeaway! ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 09:49 AM »
Hi Sardam,

Glad to hear that it worked well for you sardam  :)  

The beauty of this method is that, if you use the rice immediately after sieving and draining, without rinsing or cooling (i.e. simply drain after step 3), you can have half decent rice, ready to eat, in about 10 - 15 minutes.  I do this, most of the time, if I'm in a hurry (usually the case of course  :P)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:05 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 10:48 AM »
For those of you who may be interested, I've since described my method (in more detail) here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1383.0

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Another thing to try would be to let the rice dry completely by spreading on a teatowel. Then cook only when it is dry again.

Another option still is to use a vegetable/rice microwave steamer. I use this all the time for plain rice and it's ready in about 8 minutes (although I always leave it for another 10-15 mins)
They are only a few pounds and I have seen them in many supermarkets.

KP

Offline tronic592001

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 05:08 AM »
i just boil a kettle of water, put half teaspoon msg in rice pour water over rice, two fingers above.

bring to boil put lid on, turn heat off completely.

10 mins max later bring back to boil and strain.

basmati off course........

::)

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 09:08 AM »
I have tried several methods - some from this site, some from other sites or books. My most recent attempt at getting it right was using Cory Ander's method.

I have to say it works for me! I've got 8 portions in the freezer ready for my curry session on Boxing Day  :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:12 AM by CurryLover_NZ »

©2024 Curry Recipes