Author Topic: Help with my rice  (Read 9335 times)

Offline rossy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Help with my rice
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:59 PM »
I don't know why but I have made curry twice now and it has been fantastic apart from the pilau rice,  >:( It's tasty but sticky and stodgy, is there a fool pfoof recipe out there??
 ::)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my rice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 07:09 PM »
What kind of rice are you using ?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Recently in an effort to cut down on the fat i've been making it like this:

Put rice in a pan and add water (just under half hinch above the rice).
Add couple of bay leaves, some cloves, green pods and some cassia bark.
Bring to the boil then simmer until the water has gone.
Take of the heat and cover with a tea towel for about half hour.
Rinse the rice in a sieve and break up with a fork.
You can then reheat this in a microwave when you need it.
Produces perfect rice everytime as well as being quick and easy.

I think the important thing is not to wash it first as this always makes it go sticky.

If you don't mind the fat fry the rice and spices in a tablespoon of ghee for a minute before adding the water.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 07:27 PM by Curry King »

Offline rossy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I am using basmati rice, and i do rinse it til the water runs clear, so this could be the problem then??

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 07:37 PM »
I have to agree with CK, in my Darbari recipe i rinse after its cooked. :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 07:39 PM »
You can cook perfect basmati rice by rinsing throughly and finishing it of in the oven as I used to make it like that but now opt for the quick and easy alternative.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Offline rossy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input i appreciate it.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Hi Rossy,

I reckon there are two golden rules for avoiding sticky, stodgey rice:

1)  Thorougly rinse the rice in cold water before cooking.  I put the rice in a sieve and run cold water though it.  This removes the starch that causes the rice to stick.  If you don't rinse the rice beforehand, you will see that the water is cloudy and there will be scum on the surface

2)  Don't overcook the rice.   Cook the rice only until it is "al dente" (i.e. ensure that it is still a bit hard in the middle of the grain.  Keep testing the rice by removing a few grains and tasting it.  It should only take a few minutes for Basmati rice.  If you overcook the rice, it will become stodgey.  Much better to undercook it than to overcook it.  Remember that it will continue to cook once you've removed it, unless you immediately rinse it with cold water of course.  It will also cook some more when you reheat it.

I reckon the easiest and most foolproof way to cook free-flowing rice is to do cook it in excess water (rather than by absorption):

1)  Thoroughly rinse the rice in cold water (as described above)

2)  Boil the rice in excess water (together with spices, food colour, oil/ghee, salt, etc) until the rice grains are "al dente" (i.e. still hard in the middle of the grains)

3)  Separate the rice from the excess water using a sieve/colander

4)  Rinse the rice with cold water (but I don't believe this is essential...it simply prevents the rice from cooking further and probably washes away a bit of the flavour) and allow to drain

5)  Spread the rice in a thin layer, on a tray (add more food colours at this stage, if required), and allow it to cool (put it in fridge if you intend to leave it for long)

6)  Microwave the rice, on full, for a couple of minutes (until steaming hot) before "fluffing up" and serving

This method produces perfect rice and is easy to control. 

Cooking the rice by absorption (as described iby Curry King), will undoubtedly produce a tastier rice.  I also often use this method, but it is more difficuly to control.  It is also no doubt the method used by BIRs.

Pictures can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1180.0

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:45 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Yes I also use the absorption method it retains the Basmati flavour as Cory Ander has rightly pointed out.
anyway the method below I have been using for many years and gives me perfect results everytime I seen it in a Pru Leith book.

1. Rinse rice well in warm water until water runs clean to remove starch.

2. Cover rice in cold water and let stand for 8 Min's.

3. Tip out water and replenish with fresh (hot) water as a guide use your thumb immerse it in the water so it's touching the surface of the rice and the water doesn't exceed the depth of your thumbnail.

4. Turn gas up full add a pinch of salt I use Maldon sea salt (the best) when it comes to the boil stir it once place a lid and turn it down as low as you can.

5. Let it simmer for exactly 15 Min's turn of gas (DONT REMOVE LID) let it stand for a further 15 Min's.

6. Remove lid rice has completely absorbed water use a fork to fluff up rice.

Thats it I guarantee you will have lovely fluffy rice every time  8)

let us know how you get on.
Layne ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes