Author Topic: Brilliant Site  (Read 5254 times)

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
Brilliant Site
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Hello All

I Have been looking for a site like this for yonks, Splendid!!
I'm an expat who lives in Malaysia and although there is a large ethnic Indian community and loads of good restaurants here it's tough to get a curry that tastes the way you want it from the high street in good old Blighty.

I have been experimenting with curries for about 20 years, especially after visiting the Balti houses in Birmingham in the early 80's. I thought they put heroin in those curries they were so addictive. Big carry out from the offie next door, monster nans, roll the sleeves up ..get stuck in ..brill

One tip I have that you might want to try which certainly adds that extra dimension when creating the Karahi (Balti style ) dishes , ... put about a tablespoon of oil in the Balti pan, heat it till it is really,really hot, I know there are recipes that also say this but I mean SMOKIN!! then slam in the hot cooked portion. Watch out for the flames though. The smell and the taste  after you do this is brilliant..I wouldn't recommend doing this inside the house though, as the smoke will choke you ,the kitchen smoke alarm will trigger and the wife will give you jip for stinking  the rooms up with the smell of curry.
So if you have a barbeque side burner or  camping gas burner that you can use outside, use that. The smell that comes off will make your neighbours think a curry shop has opened next door, and the taste...woooh.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Brilliant Site
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:35 AM »
Welcome Jockomalay,

Excellent first post, welcome to the world of crazy home curry cooking.
Seeing as your in Malaysia why not add yourself to our map so we can see where you are...

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=mm

Stew ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Hi Jockomalay,

Welcome aboard  ;)

cK

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Hiya Jockomalay,

Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for that tip I will try it next time no one is at home.  CQ

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Hi Jockomalay

Welcome we look forward to your input

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Hi Jockomalay,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time with the curry craving collective .  :)

CC

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Hi Jockomalay
Welcome to Curry fanatics R US.
Layne ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 01:05 AM »
One tip I have that you might want to try which certainly adds that extra dimension when creating the Karahi (Balti style ) dishes , ... put about a tablespoon of oil in the Balti pan, heat it till it is really,really hot, I know there are recipes that also say this but I mean SMOKIN!! then slam in the hot cooked portion.

Welcome. Your tip sounds well worth trying. Before I do, though, could you please confirm the type of oil you recommend and the hot cooked portion of what??? you then add which creates the smell.

I've had some good curries in Malaysia, too. Not like BIR curries, but good in their own right. And perhaps even better in nearby Singapore.

Regards
George

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 01:57 AM »
Hi George,

I just use normal vegetable cooking oil. The hot portion is the already cooked curry you have made. It's the same idea as sizzle steaks or the chicken tikka that comes through from the restaurant kitchen on a sizzle platter. I am planning to make this on sunday so will load up some  pics of the process.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Hi Jockomalay!

Yeah those Baltis from brum are damn good! Welcome on board !

©2024 Curry Recipes