Author Topic: Adding powdered spice  (Read 9427 times)

Offline pat_mustard

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Adding powdered spice
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to all this and have been given different advise on how to add the powdered spices. A lot of what I've read tells you to add the powdered spices dry but I've also been told that the best way is to mix them with water first to prevent them burning . Anyone got any thoughts on which way gives the best results .

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Adding powdered spice
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to all this and have been given different advise on how to add the powdered spices. A lot of what I've read tells you to add the powdered spices dry but I've also been told that the best way is to mix them with water first to prevent them burning . Anyone got any thoughts on which way gives the best results .

I think that the key is to add them (dry) to cold oil in a cold pan (assuming that you intended to bhoon them), then raise the temperature gently, keep them in motion, and be ready to quench them with either a ladle or less of base or a mixture of tomato puree and water (1:2) when you need to arrrest the cooking.  The quenching should take place when there had been a colour change, gas is being given off, and there is a pleasant smell of roast spices coming from the pan; smoke is a definite sign that you have possible gone too far ... !

** Phil.

Offline pat_mustard

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply Phil, not sure what you mean by "bhoon them" though.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply Phil, not sure what you mean by "bhoon them" though.

Ah, sorry, I should have explained myself better : there are many different definitions of "to bhoon / bhoona / bhunao", but what I meant in this context is to cook them gently in oil to release their essential oils.

** Phil.

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15 AM »
hi pat i all ways make a paste with water to the dry spices a tad thiner than tom paste outa of the tube works for me ( ivan  :) )

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:37 PM »
i use 1 chef of base and mix it all together in the pan (the spice, tom puree, base etc). i find this gives 100% consistency.

link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2968.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1283.0

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:01 PM »
If you use the Taz base (which has a high oil content) then the spices go into the hot base in your pan at the same time at the tomato paste (tomato puree diluted with water). The spices fry but the liquid in the base and tomato paste lessens the chances of them being burnt.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Another way pat_mustard

Hot Ali Pan, Hot Oil, sizzle of G&G,Tomato Puree Dilute, Dry Powdered Spices
sizzle and burn slightly, a ladle of base to loosen it all up. Tarka/Bhagar done.
Then in with the main event and your base and your cooking.

The key to learning this BIR method, is to have all your ingredients laid out in front of you and develop a rhythm and feel for what your doing.
If you have to take your eye off the ball and look for an ingredient, you've lost.

It really can make the difference between a Curry and an Excellent Curry.
cheers Chewy

Offline pat_mustard

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, from all the different methods it seem you can get good results as long as you dont burn the spices, lots to learn yet! :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Another way pat_mustard

Hot Ali Pan, Hot Oil, sizzle of G&G,Tomato Puree Dilute, Dry Powdered Spices
sizzle and burn slightly, a ladle of base to loosen it all up. Tarka/Bhagar done.
Then in with the main event and your base and your cooking.

The key to learning this BIR method, is to have all your ingredients laid out in front of you and develop a rhythm and feel for what your doing.
If you have to take your eye off the ball and look for an ingredient, you've lost.

It really can make the difference between a Curry and an Excellent Curry.
cheers Chewy

I agree 100 percent - look for something and then its curtains -  start again!

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes