Author Topic: A big thanks  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
A big thanks
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Hi All,
              I've been hanging around on CRO for a couple of years so I think it's about time to say hello, well no, to say thanks really. The knowledge I've gained from this site has been amazing, I now knock up curries that I can be proud of.
I first got into making 'curry' dishes in the early 70's, my bog standard recipe was; fry up some onions (didn't use garlic then, only the French used that!!), add a chopped apple, a handful of sultanas, bung in some sort of meat, a tablespoon or two of 'curry powder', and a pint of stock (usually the dried stuff) and boil the life out of it, ... after a Party 7 it was quite acceptable, I thought it was quite exotic. My quick curry was to sprinkle dry powder onto a stew!!
So, for me, it's been a long journey to get where I am today.
I'm pleased to have found this site, I've learned a lot, it has all the info you would need to knock up a great curry.
It would be nice to see less squabbling, but I think that is the nature of forums, you don't hear the tone of someone

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: A big thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:47 PM »
It would be nice to see less squabbling, ...
You wanna step outside and say that ?  :)
** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:05 PM »
As CT said, i just love the name  ;D ;D .  No good welcoming you as you've been here a while :D but I will say hello and echo your words ::)

I first got into making 'curry' dishes in the early 70's, my bog standard recipe was; fry up some onions (didn't use garlic then, only the French used that!!), add a chopped apple, a handful of sultanas, bung in some sort of meat, a tablespoon or two of 'curry powder', and a pint of stock (usually the dried stuff) and boil the life out of it, ... after a Party 7 it was quite acceptable, I thought it was quite exotic. My quick curry was to sprinkle dry powder onto a stew!!

I think we've all been here, haven't we?  I certainly have.  I can remember my first adventure in the kitchen armed with Harvey Day's curry recipe book.  I was gonna set the kitchen alight and cook dishes just like my local BIR.  I've still got it somewhere  :D .  But i definitely am not going to tell that story ::)  I don't think i could have got much further from a BIR dish if i'd have tried  >:(

But years later on the BIR journey, many books read and dishes cooked and much time spent on this forum, reading many of the posts, from the very early days to the most current, i too have a lot to thank the forum for.  The forum's bredth and depth of knowledge continues to expand through the contributions of its members, some of whom work tirelessly in the search of insider information and others sharing their experiences.  All with the aim of sharing the knowledge to enable us to turn out real quality BIR curry.  A big thank you to all members, past and present as they have all contributed to making this site the biggest public knowledge base on BIR that exists on the net and probably anywhere.  How much shorter would the journey have been if this forum had existed 30 years ago?
There may be the occasional bun fight or exchange of words.  But one thing unites us all.  Long may the forum continue to thrive and flourish.  And thanks to Admin for providing the means.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Does this look familiar CH? - that's where I started.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Does this look familiar CH? - that's where I started.
Oh my god :o :o :o That be the said tome SL ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:54 PM »
I still have my copy though reading it now is a bit like watching a black and white or silent movie. I might dig it out and post some of his wise quotes on the forum.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I need the recipe for that sausage and tomato curry on the cover ;D

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Well as a noobie to the forum I can but say that I think it is excellent. Like others ( being nearer to the ton in years than the starting point ) I have been making 'curry' for many a year. Now retired, early I am happy and priviledged to say,  I have time to prepare gravies, pre cook chicken, sod about on informative forums etc etc.

The banter? Ok it will sometimes boil over ( splatter  ;D ) but often due to the misinterpretation of the typed word and, especially considering the demographics of this particular member base, different nationalities and first language, will always create issues but hey guys - put that aside and scoff yer ruby in the knowledge that you will never achieve perfection. Those that 'do' will undoubtedly, like me, be brought back to curry basics by their next over enthusiastic attempt that goes drastically wrong.

Blimey , deep post for me, almost wine time so adios for now.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:48 PM »
scoff yer ruby in the knowledge that you will never achieve perfection. Those that 'do' will undoubtedly, like me, be brought back to curry basics by their next over enthusiastic attempt that goes drastically wrong.
Eh, funny you should say, I am prone to the occasional hiccup too  :o ;D ;D.  Just as well this is a hobby and i don't make my living at it  ::) ::)  When all said and done, it's good fun puncutated with the rare eureka moment.  And there's always plenty of good food to be eaten, not all of it BIR standard but damn close  :P  And they are a good bunch of guys (and gals) on here.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:09 PM »
.....and BIR standard is not always what we are after. As some BIRs are sh1te. ::) ::) :( :(

©2024 Curry Recipes