Author Topic: Kumbilappam  (Read 3253 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Kumbilappam
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Does anyone know anything about these?  Got them from an asian supermarket recently.  I have tried many weird and wonderful ready-made products from India, many of which are not to my taste; generally too salty or rather bland.  But these are lovely.  I wonder if they are meant to be a savory or sweet?  I steamed one the other day and had it as a starter with a lamb samosa.  Very nice indeed.  They are sort of sweet but this is offset by the spices.  It didn?t feel like I was eating my dinner and pudding at the same time if you know what I mean. They are as cheap as chips but perhaps someone has a recipe.

Cheers.

Rob  :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kumbilappam
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Never seen em before. A nice source for Tej Patta leaves though which they've neglected to mention in the ingredients  :P

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Found a webite with quite a bit of info including a recipe.  They are south indian (kerala) jack fruit dumplings.  I have a veggie friend who visits occasionally and they will love these;  a change from veg samosa.  Look really easy to make, providing I can get hold of some jack fruit that is.

http://www.spicychilly.com/2008/01/rci-chakka-kumbil-appam-steamed-jack.html

Rob  :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Got fresh Jack Fruit at my local store.
?25 per fruit, ouch.

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes