Author Topic: South Indian Garlic Chicken recipe with video  (Read 33599 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: South Indian Garlic Chicken recipe with video
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Top vid Chris!  I will have a go tonight with some king prawns.  After watching your vid I think my curry pan is too large for a single portion cooked on maximum warp.  With the larger surface area reckon I will need to double up, and later invest in a smaller pan. Cheers, Rob  :)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Thanks for the great vid Chris!

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:46 PM »
thanks you two, let us know how it turns out for you. i had mine last night really good, think i will add 1 green chilli next time.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Good first effort Chris, (observation) your a bit slow at creating the Masala and you cooked it way too long.

You could practice the dish a few times and then upload a mastered dish for people to check out. "just a thought" not a Crit.

For better results keep it under 10mins, especially if your just blasting it on your highest fixed flame
and if you want to cook quicker on high heat and keep plenty of sauce in the finished dish = put a lid on or put another pan (inverted) on top.

South Indian Garlic Chicken? your TakeAways name for it.
The dish is an 80's Garlic Chicken or Rashun Murgh and there's NO South Indian flavours in there at all.

The Shagor Vid
Were you actually in the kitchen or is that the view that all customers can see while their waiting.
Looks a good Take Away and very good teamwork.
One point, their Garabi looks very greedy indeed (Watery and more profit)

Have you tried their Piri-Piri Special from the menu.
"This dish adopts its name from the famous Portuguese sauce (peri peri ).
This fiery, fragrant sauce is common in portugal. Strongly aromatic well
flavoured. Its unique flavour is enhanced by use of a fine blend of
spices, garlic, onions and coriander: A mystical experience of taste you won't forget. "

Theres a bottle of Nandos Piri Piri sauce next to a jar of Mr Naga on the side. You have to giggle at curry descriptions.

I rather like the Nandos medium Piri Piri sauce.
cheers Chewy

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Chewy
You are the curry detective  8)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Theres a bottle of Nandos Piri Piri sauce next to a jar of Mr Naga on the side. You have to giggle at curry descriptions.

Ha ha!  Good spot.  Demystifies that one.  Interesting combination; might try it myself.   

Rob  :)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Good first effort Chris, (observation) your a bit slow at creating the Masala and you cooked it way too long.

You could practice the dish a few times and then upload a mastered dish for people to check out. "just a thought" not a Crit.

For better results keep it under 10mins, especially if your just blasting it on your highest fixed flame
and if you want to cook quicker on high heat and keep plenty of sauce in the finished dish = put a lid on or put another pan (inverted) on top.

South Indian Garlic Chicken? your TakeAways name for it.
The dish is an 80's Garlic Chicken or Rashun Murgh and there's NO South Indian flavours in there at all.

The Shagor Vid
Were you actually in the kitchen or is that the view that all customers can see while their waiting.
Looks a good Take Away and very good teamwork.
One point, their Garabi looks very greedy indeed (Watery and more profit)

Have you tried their Piri-Piri Special from the menu.
"This dish adopts its name from the famous Portuguese sauce (peri peri ).
This fiery, fragrant sauce is common in portugal. Strongly aromatic well
flavoured. Its unique flavour is enhanced by use of a fine blend of
spices, garlic, onions and coriander: A mystical experience of taste you won't forget. "

I rather like the Nandos medium Piri Piri sauce.
cheers Chewy

thisThanks for watching the video chewytikka, the takeaway is open i.e. when you stood at the counter you can watch them make your meal..
I know what you are saying about the timing, I am sure the more I make this and the recipe is fixed in my head I will get the timing down.
You say the base gravy looks watery, it's funny you should say that as I asked if I could buy some, I was told no but you can have some.
I could not wait to get home and taste it, it did taste different than what I usually make and definitely not watery.
Piri Piri special not tried that yet chewy

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Not made the South Indian Garlic dish yet Chris.  Major king prawn issues last night.  I thought to pre-cook them after a short marinade and then have a go at the SIG.  Had some pasco marinade (comes in a small sachet, quite pricey).  Result tasted absolutely terrible and the prawns went straight in the bin.   Prepping some blades tikka and pre-cooked chicken tonight, so will be back on track.

Rob  :) 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 10:25 AM »
h4ppy-chris is star man for me on this. had fun this week working around the posted recipe. really apprecite the effort made by Chris.

this recipe is all about the garlic and getting it right. i see 3 variations and have had repeated attempts over the years at all 3:

1) added at start ie as per recipe
2) Zaal method of separate frying
3) pre fried slithers and added cold

i still don't feel i've got the garlic as good as my fav TA does so more practice and trial and error is needed for myself.

the owner of the local asian store who i know well suggested not to blitz the tin toms ie just use chopped straight out the tin. i felt this worked well although i've not tried the blitz version. i feel the tin toms is the "tom" of choice for this type of "curry" dish c/w tom puree and intend to adopt going forward.

Dish 1 i over did the zaal effect although the dish was very close to what i'm after. on dish 2 i put the onion in 1st and did not use pre cooked (my norm) and ended up not cooking the garlic enough. Dish 3 was disappointing as i felt it was a step back yet i know the dish with the secret santa sauce and know it works a treat. All 3 dishes were very different in fact too different for me.

in short i'm back to the drawing board and feel i need to get more practice to better understand the effects of the various game changers.

i feel i will start by sticking exactly to the as spec recipe for a while and adjusting the cooking until i get the best outturn before then adding in a few subtleties - which in essence is what my needs are.

Dish 1 - recipe but using zaal garlic

Dish 2 - as spec but added in tom puree

Dish 3 - repeat of dish 1 but using modified secret santa sauce having the tom puree replaced with tin tom

©2024 Curry Recipes