Author Topic: Curryhell's Special Fried Rice  (Read 19817 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curryhell's Special Fried Rice
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:18 PM »
As requested, my version of the special fried rice as cooked by one of my local TA's.  Unlike many other equally tasty recipes, the flavour of this recipe does not rely on the addition of mix powder and or sugar.  The sweetness of the fried onions and peas, combined with the fenugreek leaves and well cooked egg gives this rice a moorish flavour.  A good  pinch of coconut powder may be added to make it even more interesting.  I hope you enjoy the recipe.

Ingredients for one portion in order of use:

Two tbsp oil
Half medium onion finely chopped
Pinch of salt
Pinch of dried fenugreek leaves
Half cup of frozen peas
One egg whisked
One good pinch of coconut powder (optional)
Portion of your favourite pilau rice already cooked and cooled (3/4 of a normal TA foil container or just over   )
pinch of fresh chopped coriander to garnish

Method:

Heat pan on medium high
Add oil to pan and heat
Add finely chopped onion followed by the salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion starts to take on colour
Add fenugreek leaves and stir
Add frozen peas and continue to fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are cooked through
Add the whisked egg around the pan edges so a lot of it cooks on contact with the pan
Continue to cook the rest of the egg moving it about chopping it up into smaller and smaller pieces
Mix all the ingredients well ensuring the egg is well cooked
Add optional pinch of coconut powder at this point and stir in
Add the portion of cooled pilau rice and fold the egg, peas and onion through it
Fold the rice over ensuring that all the ingredients are well mixed
Cook on high temperatures stir frying until the rice is piping hot.  Take care not to break up the rice grains
Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh coriander

The pilau rice recipe i use:    http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6070.0

With Chicken Phall

For the normal special fried rice, mushroom pilau etc I use Dipuraja's recipe contained in the following video: http://www.youtube.com/user/dipuraja1?blend=12&ob=5#p/u/16/0MS14KMS9V8
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:33 PM by curryhell »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Special Fried Rice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15 PM »
The problem for me with this rice is that it's virtually identical to chinese fried rice, apart from the methi. I know I'll like it but it just doesn't seem 'Indian' enough.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:19 AM »
The problem for me with this rice is that it's virtually identical to chinese fried rice, apart from the methi. I know I'll like it but it just doesn't seem 'Indian' enough.
Hear what you're saying SS.  When i first looked down on it, it wasn't what i was used to getting as special fried rice from an Indian :-\ . But with the spicing of the pulao plus the methi (and  a pinch of coconut) it is in fact totally different in taste the Chinese equivalent, well at least round here.  Try it and see.  Worst comes to the worst, you can just pop it back in the pan and add some mix powder to give it that "Indian" flavour  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:37 PM by curryhell »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Thanks for putting this recipe up, CH - I'll be trying it out this week! :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:07 PM »
For the normal special fried rice, mushroom pilau etc I use Dipuraja's recipe contained in the following video: http://www.youtube.com/user/dipuraja1?blend=12&ob=5#p/u/16/0MS14KMS9V8

The pilau recipe video seems to have disappeared. I think he's deleted some of his other ones too...shame.  :-\

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:15 PM »
The pilau recipe video seems to have disappeared. I think he's deleted some of his other ones too...shame.  :-\
The URL that CH cites is very atypical for Youtube, and I wonder if it might be in error. The only part that can be tied into a current Dip. video is the very last element, which you can find here :

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Thanks Phil. I'm sure dip used to have a pilau recipe though but I couldn't find it (after a cursory search).

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Lovely phal there Dave.  As it should be, with no seeds (aka, bird food).  ;D  Rice looks delicious too.

Rob  :)   

Offline youngisthan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48 AM »
The dish looks so yummy and delicious, i just can't stop myself from eating it. Thanks for recipe dear.

©2024 Curry Recipes