Author Topic: Curryhell's Little India Mushroom Bhaji  (Read 17551 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Little India Mushroom Bhaji
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Base used was C2G bangladeshi as per Julian's e-book

What do you reckon to this base?
I made it last week
It's very gingery
I used the pressure cooker for some of the recipe (as instructed)
I got a lot of compliments about the paneer bhajee I made with it
I couldn't tell if it was good, I'd been cooking all afternoon
My taste buds were gone by then
I froze some base and I'll use it again, to see what I think

I wasn't too sure about Julian's recipes, but I reckon he was right about a lot of things
The onions really need to be cooked a long time in the gravy
The flavour does change
The aroma does go vinegary

I was in a takeaway kitchen last Tuesday
On all the cooked curries, the pan is left just sitting on the heat without stirring for maybe three miniutes
This would be the roasting technique he talked of

I don't know about his idea of using very little water in the base gravy
But it certainly does no harm
And it's also amazing how much water comes out from the onions
It was half a cup of water in Julian's pressure cooker base
I thought it would burn
But it didn't even catch

Let's face it, if he wasn't any good , then his place would have shut in a month
Well, I guess it is closing
But not for that reason
Someone on this site could probably buy it
6,500 pounds ,I think
And I did think about it, too
I wouldn't want that as a job
The novelty would be gone in two days

To date I've made well over 30 litres of Julian's base (sounds a lot, but I made 15 litres of that in one batch for a big curry party. Never again!), and I still have a few containers in my freezer, along with other bases I use regularly (Chewy's, Zaal, etc., etc - you can never have too much base!).

I didn't find Julian's base overly gingery, but then I'm not a massive fan of ginger and tend to tone it down to a 60/40 ration in favour of garlic. It's what I call a good 'middle of the road' base, and works well across a range of dishes. (As indeed, do most of the decent bases you'll find on this site.)

I've tried it with the minimal water method and the boil the merry hell out of it method, and found that the less water used, the sweeter the end result, but it's not a massive difference. Either way, I haven't got time to ponce around waiting for three hours for it to come up to temperature on a minimal flame, as Julian suggests, so I bring it up to heat fairly quickly, then turn it down to a gentle tickover. 

I emailed Julian after reading the news in another thread about illness forcing the sale of his business, and apparently it's already sold. Seemed like a good price, considering he'd only recently refitted it with new equipment. Here's hoping the new owners keep it as a curry place and make a success of it.

But back on topic, I'm off shopping to get some mushrooms!

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Hi Dave

Just a quick post to say, thanks for posting the recipe. A real winner as far as I am concerned. Have made this a number of times now and am very pleased with it.

Many thanks

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Russ, glad you are enjoying my interpretation of the Little India mushroom bhaji courtesy of CBM.  I too now cook it regularly as it's so easy but delicious.  Last nights was bang on what i get from one of my local BIR's.  It amazes me how the dish can vary so much if you cook the mushrooms for longer or use a bit more gravy or mix powder.  No mushroom bhaji for me tonight though  :(  Just plain old basmati rice with North Indian Special which i haven't cooked for a while and am really looking forward to when I return from the pub  :P :P

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Hi

Very remiss of me! many thanks indeed additionally to CBM / Little India - awesome video Mick!

Just when you think you are ticking things off your curry to do list another one gets added. Still not made the NIS either  :o

Good problem to have I suppose - all these great curry recipes to try  ;)

Hope your NIS is very enjoyable later - have a good one!

Cheers

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Made this tonight using the last of the Kushi base and Abdul Mohed's 8-Spice mix powder. Absolutely lovely! Thanks to CH for posting this recipe. :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Made this tonight using the last of the Kushi base and Abdul Mohed's 8-Spice mix powder. Absolutely lovely! Thanks to CH for posting this recipe. :)

Glad you enjoyed it Naga.  All credit must go to CBM and Little India.  This site will be a poorer place without him :(

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Just made this. Looks great. Smells great.

Can't have it till later!!!  :o

Thanks to CH / CBM / LI cheers!

©2024 Curry Recipes