Author Topic: Bringing jars to life  (Read 3841 times)

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Bringing jars to life
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:21 PM »
I'm hoping you other curry-heads also have this same experience some time. You really really want a ruby, but all you have in the cupboard is a jar of curry sauce.

What have you done to bring a curry jar to life?   :D

This evening, all I have is a jar of Sharwoods's tikka massala. I'll add half a diced red onion, four garlic cloves and a little green chili to begin with, then add the chicken for 5 mins and then the sauce, and stir in some chopped koriander to finish just before serving. It works ok, and tastes a whole lot better than the sauce would without the additions!

But what are you experiences?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing jars to life
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:46 PM »
We don't buy curry in jars and haven't for some years (embarrassingly, except for the kids). The only jars I do have are the pastes sat in the fridge, which I can honestly say only ever get used to make Tandoori chicken or Tikka. These days, if I need a fix and haven't what I need to hand, i'll order a take away. Otherwise, I would make a more traditional style curry, using the usual suspects.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:55 PM »
+1 - except I no longer order takeaways as the stuff I make based on the info from this site is much better than the local fare.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42 PM »
These days, if I need a fix and haven't what I need to hand, i'll order a take away.

You're lucky to have that option   :)

The nearest Indian is about 30Km away, and they don't deliver. The next one is nearly 200Km away  :(

The nature is of course beautiful, but man needs curry sometimes at short notice. Hence the jars  :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I shall count myself fortunate indeed I must have 200 Indian take-aways available in a 30km radius :P

But seriously, don't you freeze base etc. so you can cook your favourite curry as and when you want it? Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy the sauce in a jar curry's then carry on. I used to enjoy Vesta Curry alot and that really is awful. ???

With all the help and advice, and of course recipes found on this site, you should be able to produce top notch curry without having to resort to a jar.  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44 PM »
With all the help and advice, and of course recipes found on this site, you should be able to produce top notch curry without having to resort to a jar.  :)

I agree.  All a man really needs is a plentiful supply of base (fresh, chilled or frozen : whatever), some oil, no more than half-a-dozen jars of spices, some pre-made and chilled g/g paste, some tomato puree and something to curry.  Important, but not quite essential (although close) are some fresh coriander (leaves and stalks) and some red onions and tomatoes (for the onion salad, without which no curry is really complete).  Oh, and a jar of Chinthe Burmese lime pickle, which can liven up even the most appalling curry failures.  And a couple of cold beers, of course.  Oh, and some basmatti rice, and the whole spices for pulao.  Actually, this list is starting to get quite long ...

** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I used to enjoy Vesta Curry alot and that really is awful. ???

I used to love that Vesta chow mien with some strange things you fried and put on top, that really was bad!

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Sorry if I was unclear....

but all you have in the cupboard is a jar of curry sauce.

..meant I had run out of base sauce...

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Vesta curry ?  Vesta chow mien ???  You're crazy, the pair of you.  Vesta paella : that really was the canine's gonads (if you had never tried the real thing, that is !).

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Sorry if I was unclear....

but all you have in the cupboard is a jar of curry sauce.

..meant I had run out of base sauce...

In my experience Sharwoods jars are pretty much beyond repair.  Other than adding 2 tbsp of Mr. Naga pickle, divine intervention would be needed to make a decent curry with them. If I am out of base, I usually make my version of a home style on-the-bone Pakistani curry, with lots of whole spices.  Really easy to make.  Basically a few chopped onions, g/g paste, mix power, a can of tomatoes, whole spices, some veg, and away you go. Made some really good curry this way, often better than my efforts with base gravy.

Rob  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:46 PM by getonthegarabi »

©2024 Curry Recipes