Author Topic: My Naan Bread Quest Is Over  (Read 47228 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
My Naan Bread Quest Is Over
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Finally after many years of attempts/recipes/failed eureka moments and 2 home build tandoori ovens later i now feel i can truly replicate restaurant style naan breads at home, i feel Ive got it nailed down, no longer need to tweak my recipe and ultimately the method and this is without a tandoori oven.

I can make the naans pictured every time no more floppy, stodgy, [sometimes biscuit like!] sour, funny cant put my name on it after taste. Real Deal Naan bread.

I really didn't think it would of been so hard! but the variations are vast!! from yeast to no yeast, self raising, plain flours, a mix of both, yogurt or not, with little or a lot of baking soda not mention pizza stones, granite plates and blow torches all of which have there merits! if could install a gas fired tandoori oven in my kitchen i would of done years ago but it not going to happen no matter how much i beg the misses!!

This is done with CBM's method of Tava and a 9kw gas ring, inverting the bread into the flames,
I do have to Thank CBM for his method here as it was a big upward step for me.

I'm sure this can be done a gas hob with wok ring or perhaps the large ring not sure as i have electric hob[bad idea but its easy to clean :'(]

I will post the recipe but i really want to weigh and measure the amounts again.

-

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Naan Bread Quest Is Over
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Congrats on your success UB!

UB we have all chatted about naan recipes and different ways of cooking them but it would be great if you posted your recipe as I would like to try and perfect this. My naans are good BUT can I take them further and be as delighted as you clearer are with your lovely looking naans. You recipe might lead me that way!!!!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:49 PM »
My mouth is watering again :( Oh for a vindaloo with one of those little beauties  :P :P ;D

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Wow they look fab!, please please please post recipe and technique.

Cheers

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Come on, come on!

Spit it out!

The recipe, not the nan........

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30 AM »
hi uf mate i had a very similar moment to yours then out of the mist the confusion walked a man i can only describe as a nan making genius the great man him self happy chris total no messin fool proof way of making perfect nans and chappits the thread is on the sight somewhere sorry i havent copy and pasted it for you to have a look at but plz do search it out as a fantastic vid to show you how to do it happy currying mate ( Ivan )

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Well done UB. They look fantabulous.

Offline dodgy99

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Wow, they look fantastic, I try to make nanns, have tried several different recipes but none turn out like those. I have CBM`s book are these the same recipe as in his book doe you know?

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Recipe, recipe, recipe, recipe
Now, now , now, now
Where is it?

8) ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile