Author Topic: red sauce  (Read 49694 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: red sauce
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Or- how about a kind of taramind sauce? That would be red wouldn't it, maybe thinned out slightly?

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 04:53 PM »
yeah, i was thinking blended spicy onions...?

Now that sounds like an interesting idea, SP, have you ever done it?

aye, detailed here (back in 2006 :o), this is the other pakora sauce from my previously-favourite BIR "The Qismat" in Elgin (before their chef got killed in a motorbike accident and it's never been the same quality since)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,660.msg8559.html#msg8559

just use less water to get a thicker dipping salsa-like sauce?

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 04:56 PM »
SP the next time  I buy some I will try to get the photo on .It is deep red in colour and the concistency of chinese sweet chilli sauce but tastes nothing like it.Onions its not like salsa that being tomato based I dont think this is.It may well have tamarind in it but there is something else.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Thanks for that, SP. Very similar to my favourite spicy onion recipe, though I add a little methi and dried coriander leaf. Never thought of blitzing it to make a dip though :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I found a couple of links, if they get us any further:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5013/indian-tamarind-chutney.aspx

http://www.indiaonmyplate.com/category/chutneys-and-raitas/ (fourth one, but they all look interesting)

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Thanks SP the pictures look the same, the ingrediants are close to what iam using at the moment,It mentions boiling the onions to make the sauce sweet ill try that.Thanks onions im going there now.

Offline benmitchell88

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 06:52 PM »
ligs, I too am from the north west (liverpool) and notice that a lot of them serve the exact same sauce you mentioned.  I was told by one chef it has 18 ingredients in it which I honestly don't believe  ??? Most places describe it as 'chilli mango'...  It does contain mint though as you mentioned  :D 

Still I am unsure whether it would be chilli powder added or chilli sauce but am more inclined to believed it would be chilli in the sauce form  :)

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 06:15 PM »
18 ingredients know wonder i cant get it  :'(.Ive seen maggi chilli sauce in my TA ill get some of that and give it a go. I boiled the onions and it tasted very good ,still not 100% maybe 80%.

Offline g31

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11 AM »
onion and cucumber finely sliced in small pieces mix in mango  chutney  water and lemon juice. add a pinch of red food colouring. season to taste with sea salt and black pepper and mint sauce. try a tbsp of each ingredient initially, its easy to modify to taste. you find you have a nice red sauce thats luvely with poppadoms

Offline KINGPRAWNphatia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Hi ,I am from north west England and in my local TA,s and restaurants they sell a red sauce with poppadoms ,It looks like thin raspbery jelly but tastes nothing like it, It tastes sweet fresh and quite hot I think that it has mint in it but dont know what else Can any body help
2 tablespoons of Tamarind Concentrate
200 grams of Smooth (Pureed) Mango Chutney 50 grams of Tomato Ketchup
2 tablespoons of Mr Naga Pickle
100ml of Water
1⁄2 teaspoon of Red Colour Powder

©2024 Curry Recipes