Author Topic: My Local Takeaway Base Gravy  (Read 13098 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Local Takeaway Base Gravy
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 08:15 PM »
interesting post.

the dark colour is along the lines of the rajver which i make but not quite as dark - it's the inclusion of garam masala that does it.

the thickness does put me off and suggests to me that they have fried it before handing over - it would be well worth checking with the TA to confirm what was given.

there is a lot of onion in base - it looks like i would have it after the stage 1 cook ie just after blending. i then add a lot more water and cook for a further 1 hr.

looking forward if any further information can be gained - i take it the curries are top notch.

Agree with you there JerryM,
My Sister in Laws Son only eats and asks for the Gravy from his t/a but they just make a curry without the meat and not pure base from the pot,some time ago I asked my local t/a (the one that now uses an 'all in the base' gravy) for a container of gravy and they to added mix powder,chili and fresh coriander  ::) I wonder if this is what Burning Ring was given.
Also the last Zaal base I made I added an extra 1kg of Onions to see if it made any savoury difference - it didn't
and looked similar to BR's sample  :-\

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 10:39 PM »
1st post newbie here
I recently asked one the staff in my local favourite takeaway if I could have a sample of their base gravy for me to compare with the gravy I made at home (Julian’s c2go base) he looked very bemused and said of course you can. I got the base home and was very surprised that it was so thick and quite a lot more spicy than mine, almost like a finished curry without the meat.

Burning ring, ive been trying to explain this for a long time, but no ones excepting that it is almost like a finished curry, ive tried the base gravy here in wolverhampton on a couple of lucky occasions years back so what they are cooking elsewhere im lost mate!apart from i know its for publicity! one springs to mind, now selling, (Julian’s c2go base)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:08 PM by stevejet66 »

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Infact i suppose the only way you could really find out whats in a base gravy would be food DNA testing or analysis, but! that would cost a fortune to get the exact analysis, why not raise a fund with admin, and find out the truth! it can be done with todays technology. 262 users online today, 10 quid each, price of your takeaway! money raised

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Even a good food analysis will not give you proper proportions and can have trouble differentiating between different type of chili or even cassia/cinnamon.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Even a good food analysis will not give you proper proportions and can have trouble differentiating between different type of chili or even cassia/cinnamon.

Not to mention the DNA of animals in touch with these spices/veggies.

Offline Burning Ring

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay, hear are the photos of the finished takeaway meals, one is a Chicken Jalfrezi & the other a chicken Bhuna which is my wife's favourite. I must say that they look  fairly similar but obviously the Jalfrezi is more spiced & hotter. I am still trying to get in their kitchen but the chap that was offering to give me help and advice  is now not so chatty! just hello sir how are you and that's it. I will continue to work on him but back off a bit for a while till i see he is in a good mood lol.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Can't see the pics.

Offline Burning Ring

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02 PM »
 >:(Yes i know & i dont know why?